Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite Beta

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

thats interesting 2014 works for you with yosemite, as 2014 broke when I installed mavericks...

Upgrading an OS rather than installing it fresh can often cause issues.

If you run into something similar, even on an unsupported OS, it is often worth trying this as a troubleshooting steps first:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1099/Resetting+Vectorworks+Preferences

And then an uninsntall/reinstall if the previous step fails:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1105/Uninstalling+Vectorworks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I updated to Yosemite, with 2015 already installed and working fine. Have now had multiple crashes where the screen just goes totally screwy, no ability to switch to anything else and no amount of keyboard combinations will force quit. Seems to occur while working on an imported PDF image. Only solution is a hard reset with the power button.

I don't normally jump on OS releases early, but for some reason this time I did. Now I regret it.

This is a post from a German Web site translated using Google Translate.

"Hi, Vectorworks 2012 unfortunately was not released more Mavericks (10.9.x).

You probably have up-dated from 10.8.x ?!

I'm afraid that you still get other difficulties with Yosemite and the 2012 version.

For this reason, I would strongly advise against the combination.

About the compatibilities of the different VW versions and operating systems...

Advance information here: http://www.computerworks.de/?id=2542"

The link states that the incompatibilities with version 2012 are mostly with the DONGLE version where the computer is used as a Dongle Server. If this is the only issue, I hope Nemetsheck can report back that the rest is working well.

JG

Edited by BLINK-LA

The link states that the incompatibilities with version 2012 are mostly with the DONGLE version where the computer is used as a Dongle Server. If this is the only issue, I hope Nemetsheck can report back that the rest is working well.

But the Thread from the german forum you translated one Post said that,

all VW Versions that work under OS X Yosemite, may need a new dongle

driver after OS update.

And, as someone was able to run VW 2012 with that new dongle driver

had to realize that he couldn't print - because VW 2012 will not run on

10.10 and is not recommended > 10.8

But the Thread from the german forum you translated one Post said that,

all VW Versions that work under OS X Yosemite, may need a new dongle

driver after OS update.

And, as someone was able to run VW 2012 with that new dongle driver

had to realize that he couldn't print - because VW 2012 will not run on

10.10 and is not recommended > 10.8

Further, v2012-E runs perfectly on 10.9.5. Apple is saying that v2012-E will therefore run on 10.10. User feedback seems to be the only solution. If I had a second machine I would do it myself.

"Perhaps the only reasons not to update to Yosemite would be due to compatibility reasons with some particular app (though if it runs in Mavericks, it will run in Yosemite)...."

Preliminary results are already showing issues on OS X 10.10.0 in Vectorworks 2014 and Vectorworks 2015 that were not present in 10.9.5, so no I would not agree with this statement.

I just upgraded to a mac pro - in order to migrate I had to upgrade to OS X 10.10. For starters, I can say that Renderworks isn't working - Fast or Final quality renders as wireframe (in viewports). In layer view, nothing displays. I'd advocate caution. Now how do I de-upgrade my OS? I know ... ask Google...

No direct way to roll back that I know of, sadly. Often it becomes a full OS reinstall of the older version.

However, migrating Vectorworks can cause issues regardless of the version of VW or the OS, often after a migration an uninstall and reinstall of Vectorworks is required, its worth trying before you do more:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1105/Uninstalling+Vectorworks

• 5 weeks later...

Currently the PDF issue looks to be on Apple's end, part of it was ours and if that is what users were running into, it would have been fixed in SP2, but the rest we are still waiting on them for.

Second, just FYI, your second link (above) is bad; says that "this article does not exist, or is not published"...

Fixed, ty.

• 1 month later...

01/16/15

Hi,

Now that it has been a few months, I am wondering if there is an update on the compatibility issue with Yosemite and if we are clear to install Yosemite with full functionality? I very much need to be able to make clean PDFs from my programs, and have been waiting for a go ahead because of this reason.

Also, if it is still an issue (aka Apple hasn't fixed it yet), has anyone found success in the work around of making PDFs from the print menu? Are there any major limitations to this workaround?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Everything on our end has been corrected as of 2015 SP2. The main problems on which we have to wait for fixes are:

1) Color Picker doesn't show the magnifying glass UI OR Crashes.

2) Printing from Adobe products results in garbled text.

There is also an Icelandic character incompatibility (can't be used in filenames from what I understand) but I do not know the details.

Did a few tests here just now and I do not see that, nor do I see anything about it being tracked internally in engineering.

The main reports of printing issues were to printers that did not support 10.9 or 10.10, its possible that if that printer was selected, using its settings when selecting Save as PDF would have had the same problems the printer would have (Some printer's settings keep when Save as PDF is used, some don't, I've never learned why) but the only one we control patching for is Export PDF, Save as PDF is built into the OS.

2) Printing from Adobe products results in garbled text.

Link below: " Exporting to PDF, Printing to PDF and Publishing to PDF may lose proper hatch and text location"

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1279/Mac+OS+X+10.10+Yosemite+compatibility+with+Vectorworks

No changes with the last update from Yosemite aka 10.10.2?

On the other hand, I don't see the board flooded with complaints regarding garbled PDF's, so is it a serious matter or only sporadic detail?

On the other hand, I don't see the board flooded with complaints regarding garbled PDF's, so is it a serious matter or only sporadic detail?

Correct, it is not affecting everyone on 10.10, but I am not sure of the common factor.

I'll reconfirm on 10.10.2 and report back.