Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite Beta

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Within the next few days, Apple will start to send out a beta/incomplete version of OS X 10.10 to users who have signed up to receive it. This is a break from their tradition of normally only pushing betas out to developers.

This article:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1253/Tech+Bulletin%3A+Mac+OS+X+Yosemite+Beta

explains its support status and will be updated as time goes on. This is an early part of our efforts to be more proactive and to provide information as early as possible.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

At the moment there is no official word on compatibility with any version of Vectorworks and OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Official testing has not yet completed. This is not saying there are or aren't problems, I simply do not have an official answer yet.

The instant I hear the official results, I will post them directly here as well as on the KnowledgeBase.

If you are concerned about compatibility or have a version of Vectorworks older than 2014, I would personally recommend holding off on updating until we give an official compatibility statement.

Edited by JimW

Personally I would not expect to see dramatic differences between compatibility with OS X 10.9 and 10.10. Most likely Vectorworks 2015 and 2014 will run and if they do have compatibility issues they will very likely be patched.

I'm still running 10.9.5 personally, we try to keep a range of OS versions in tech support so we can test everything. I do not know if my machine will be selected for upgrading.

However, I am still waiting on the in-depth testing to complete. Once I have the official word, I will relay it directly.

I am using version 2012 E, that does not require a dongle and the same question applies. I found this Nemetsheck article that covers vaguely, issues related to the release of Mavericks. I trust this will be updated shortly. A free update from Apple but a very expensive update from VW and other softwares is a massive catch-22 in this not yet recovered economy...if required.

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1192/OS+X+10.9+Mavericks+compatibility+with+Vectorworks

A related article presents a grid of compatibilities which indicates that 2012 DOES NOT WORK with 10.9 (Mavericks) when in fact it does work. The article is dated August 2014.

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1261/Vectorworks+Operating+System+Compatibility+List+2014-8-27

VW 2012 works very well with OSX 10.9.5!

Regards, John

2012 works perfectly with 10.9.5!

Anyone know if 2012 works with 10.10? Thanks.

Technical department says it won't, but they also told me it wouldn't with 10.9.5, so I would rather hear from users.

Thanks!

Unfortunately we have to go with the lowest/most compatible common denominator for compatibility statements. We cant answer "Maybe" to whether a version of Vectorworks is compatible with an OS or not, so if there is a subset of only 30% of users that would be affected, we still have to go with a flat "No".

I have plenty of users working with 2012 on 10.9.5 without issue, but a separate group are not able to launch at all, couldn't connect to a dongle, couldn't render in OpenGL, etc. Some were technically "small" problems but bad enough that it rated Incompatible.

Jim, this is a $2,500.00 decision for some of us... It is reasonable that users rely on Nemetsheck for specific, initial results I trust you agree. I understand you do not want to make promises or guesses but simply state the parameters of a double-blind test using VW + OSX 10.10 installs only. If there are any other conflicts beyond this, it's on the user to sort it out.

The Mac OS is the stable component that does not vary from installation to installation. It makes zero sense that 30% of users would experience conflicts unless it is caused by third party software. I for one am asking about OSX ONLY and perhaps any other glaring exceptions that might be apparent. For example, VW 2012 crashes with every Copy/Paste action when iClipboard is 'recording'.

I am in agreement with Architetto if Nemetsheck is gonna make a sweeping general statement based on the lowest common denominator. VW 2012 works perfectly with OSX 10.9.5, that's a compliment btw, and there is a wide array of third party software also installed.

Edited by BLINK-LA

I really do agree, I was just explaining the black/white yes/no answers we have to give. Personally I would have the whole range of Mac hardware tested with definitive results on each, since the range is much more narrow than PC hardware. Unfortunately I still have to give a flat yes/no on the OS as a whole and I am not in direct control of what we do and do not test. I have brought these concerns to the ears that need to hear them, but I do not know if the current system will change.

I strongly encourage users to share what works and what does not here on the forums, along with VERY specific hardware specifications so that other users cant work with it if it works, but not risk the OS upgrade (they are difficult if not impossible to revert back from) unless they are confident.

More users have also been conversing about this here, which may be useful to readers of this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/lightingdesign/comments/2jjxnd/osx_yosemite_and_vectorworks/

The majority of the issues we see on 2012 with 10.9.5 are graphics driver related, which varies from machine to machine but is not a third party application nor is it user controllable. It is simply delivered by Apple to each OS version as they see fit.

I didn't want to create another thread topic and thought this was close enough to be on-topic.

Now that Yosemite (MacOS 10.10) is out of beta and fully released by apple... is there any ETA on when Vetorworks 2015 will have a compatibility statement released? I searched the KB and these forums, but all that is mentioned is 10.10 beta and / or previous versions of Vectorworks... how about the latest release?

Thanks,

T

Tread cautiously with Yosemite. VW2014 seems to work fine. I haven't really worked with VW2015 to any great extent yet.

But I have had to troubleshoot my Apple Magic Mouse and cannot send email. The mouse was solvable by resetting the PRAM and SMC. The email sending issue has been confirmed as an Apple problem by my email provider..... not good. No ETA for a fix.

Kevin

thats interesting 2014 works for you with yosemite, as 2014 broke when I installed mavericks... kind of forcing me to upgrade to 2015 before I was ready to roll it out for our firm... hence why i'm being cautious this time before upgrading the OS, as technically 2014 was labeled as non-compatible so I had no one to yell at but myself.

on a side note with your Yosemite problems...

I have not upgraded yet on any machines (home or work). My brother has though and he came across the email issue and found a fix... not sure if it apply's to you, but he dug something up relating to his gmail accounts, and the IMAP standard mail.app was using to communicate with the google servers changing... or something like that... anyway he did something to his recursive gmail folders from the web interface, and it fixed it so the mac mail.app worked again.