Vectorworks 2014 Symbol Count?

First time posting in this forum. I have been coming here for a while and have found many useful things within the forum but can't seem to find what I am currently looking for.

What I want to know is how, after making a specific symbol, have Vectorworks tell me how many I have in a given layout.

This past Friday I was working on an electrical drawing (I work in the trade show industry) that has specific electrical power requirements drawn out. An example would be 120v 5amp and 208v 3ph 20amp and so forth.

The drawing that I did on Friday has at least 100 or more different electrical drops that I had to go and count manually to make a legend for.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and would make my job easier and faster considering that over the next 2 months, I have about 50 layouts to do, along with all sorts of other service drawings and design layouts.

To ensure you don't double count make sure you add Criteria to the Database Header Row. eg. restricting the count to a specific Design Layer.

You can also use Class Criteria to split the symbol counting into sensible groups.

Make sure you look at the movie suggested by Jim and explore Help.

Be careful with Legends as these can lead to additional symbols in the count. Make those symbols Groups or use a Viewport for the Legend and exclude Viewports from the count.

I have a question as well; somewhat in the same ballpark. Say, I have a worksheet with a single database header.

Can I limit the columns that the Database Sub Rows goes?

Meaning, I want to create other columns which have editable rows in them for comparison purposes which I will manually punch in the numbers.

Thank you for the support.

Can I limit the columns that the Database Sub Rows goes?

Meaning, I want to create other columns which have editable rows in them for comparison purposes which I will manually punch in the numbers.

The answer is no, but there is a work around.

A Database section of a worksheet must contain all record fields about the object(s) that are included in that specific subrow, so you can't just mark some columns as being editable fields.

The workaround is that the columns in the database section don't have to be from the same record. For editable fields, create a custom Record Format and attach that Record to the objects. Set the criteria for the column to show the fields from the custom Record. You can then enter the data either manually into the cells in the database or using the Data pane of the Object Info Pallette (OIP).

ok PAT (or anybody),

I have another question/problem. I'm attaching the worksheet I'm working on as well. I have done what you have told me I suppose;

For editable fields, create a custom Record Format and attach that Record to the objects. Set the criteria for the column to show the fields from the custom Record. You can then enter the data either manually into the cells in the database or using the Data pane of the Object Info Pallette (OIP)

This time, the custom record format I have created gets multiplied by the number of symbol instances in the file and result in a wrong "DIFFERENCE" number. I have tried couple of tricks ("VALUE" function or storing the record format as text information) but couldn't find a way around. You think there is a way around this?

Thank you once again.

Edited by sle7en7

Short answer for now.

Drag another SUM tile to the Quantity column. This will actual "UNSUM" the values and give you the value for just one instance.

I am trying to think of a better way to store the "inventory" quantities so that you can still access them other than putting them into the record for each object.

If I were to set this up from scratch, I would probably create a different symbol for each height cabinet and store the 2H/3H stuff in a record attached to the symbol definition. That way you don't have to manually put the data into each instance.

This is a similar but related question. If I have an object like a parking space, where I need to summarize a field, like the number of spaces, how do I collapse or summarize the information.

For example, in the attached file, I don't need to list all the parking space objects individually. I need a tally of total spaces, preferably by layer. I'd like to be able to summarize by a field.

See attached.