Fix the tape measure tool

Bruce Kieffer

Question

I'm in front view in a 3D drawing and I want to measure the height of a countertop relative to the bottom edge of the cabinet base. The tape measure tool should be able to do this, but sadly it cannot. Of course the reason is even though I see front view as a 2D view, Vectorworks sees it as 3D so when I use the tape measure tool it snaps to the base further back in space and then gives me an angular measurement, not a plumb measurement which is what I need. Please see my attached screen shot. The measurement (what I need to know) is really 35-3/4". The tape measure tool says 35.964". It's totally useless to me. Give us a WYSIWYG setting or modifier for the views our eyes see as 2D, but Vectorworks sees as 3D.

16 answers to this question

+1

VW has a lot of trouble in this type of view generally, especially with snaps. Its often impossible to drag something along the associated 2d plane without having it grab onto a snap forward or backward of that plane, moving it in 3d space as well. This is the main reason I still keep things set to screen plane even after all this time..... and why the screen plane / layer plane idea is such a fail.

Kevin

I ran into the same issue Bruce:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199113

In the long term perhaps screen plane needs to be deprecated.

In the short term the Measure Tape needs more intelligence to know what it's measuring (perhaps it should default to layer plane whenever the user is in 3D view?) and at the very least the user needs an alert when activating the Tape Measure tool when they are in a 3D view while Screen Plane is active. (I've submitted a enhancement request along these likes)

I personally think the problem here is with snaps. If the snaps worked properly the tape measure would give an accurate measurement. VW needs more intelligent snapping. Even C4D has more intelligent snapping (2D, 2.5D and 3D settings). As Bruce says, many of us think of a true view (ie. front, side) as 2d because that's the way we were taught (ie. everything is projected onto a plane of glass). We switch into it for a specific purpose.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think the problem is with snapping as well, in Top/Plan the snapping is able to refer to the object stacking order to determine priority for snapping to certain points.

In front/left/right/back a user would almost (as far as I have ever seen) want to measure from any point in the foreground to any point further "back" from the screen. This happened/happens when drawing in those views with things like 3d polygons and NURBS as well, it snaps way off in the distance while looking totally right until checked in an isometric view.

When the tape measure tool is used in isometric, it is actually easier to get the snap points you expect, but I have seen that the user will more often enter an elevation view to get these measurements.

Often its REALLY obvious that the measurement is way off (45 feet where it should have been 9 feet)and then the user would be able to catch it, which is still bad but sometimes it is only off by a slight amount (From the front side of a walls top to the opposite side of a walls bottom, adding an errant 3"-8") and missing that early on would lead to much bigger problems down the line. Needs to be addressed.

Submitting issue now.

Actually there is a setting that fixes this, after you select the tape measure tool but before you make the first click, make sure the last option in the snap palette is active, i think it is called snap to plane, this will 'lock' the tape measure tool to the screen plane thus reporting the correct measurement. I have on countless occassions pointed out that this is very tedious and also that the default setting of unchecked for the snap to plane returns as soon as you change the view which means this setting needs to be set each time you use the tape measure tool in this way......something needs to be streamlined here don't know what, either the snapping or the tool need to be changed.......

There's another behaviour that's symptomatic of this need for improved snapping in VW. Say you have a 3D polygon that represents ground level and a bunch of 3D shapes that represent buildings. If you're in top/plan view and start reshaping the ground level 3D polygon by snapping to the corners of your buildings what it will do is shift the vertices of the 3D polygon up to the top edge of the building instead of staying in the same plane. So when you switch back to a 3D view you will see your ground has a whole bunch of peaks where it's snapped to the tops of your buildings!

Snap to working plane appears in the snaps palette when you are in a 3D view (at least one Vectorworks sees as 3D!). I see it when I open a new document, but not in my document that I'm working on. I'm not sure how to activate it in that document?

Just found it. I have to have Layer Plane on. I want to scream! It still doesn't make the tape measure tool work like I think it should.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer