Extended dormer window

Hi

I am trying to get a bit of work done before the World Cup Final and I have a question about dormers.

I would like a dormer window to extend down into the second floor wall below. Does anyone have a preferred method for this?

Would it be wise to use the dormer tool then ungroup and deconstruct or use the roof face tool to build the dormer and then modify the walls?

Is there a way to use the dormer tool and eliminate the gable end wall that contains the window?

I have attached an image of what I would like.

Thanks

chris

Guest Wes Gardner

Personally, I use the walls from below so to speak for the front face and then create walls for the sides, use either a Roof Face or the Roof Tool to create a roof and then Fit Walls to Objects to complete the dormer.

Thanks Wes

I have played around with a few methods and the fit walls to roof seems to be the best option.

My next question would be, how do I remove all the hip roof information inside and out of the dormer. I don't want to use the subtract solid option because I want to maintain the editable aspect of the roof symbol. I have tried to create a skylight cut out by making a 3D symbol the size and shape of the hole but when I click the "do not insert object" option, I dont get a hole. Nothing is there, but the dormer option are.i have tried flipping and changing the object in edit mode but not change.

I attached an image.

thanks

Chris

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Chris,

You'll probably end up having to break the roof into roof faces, then you can add nodes and stretch away to get the vaulted ceiling in the space under the dormer.

Wes