navigation pallette update

Dillon

Question

4 answers to this question

Dillon,

How do you use layers to have so many that you would require creating folders or nesting layers?

I have worked for an office that used layers for everything and it was quite clear that it was a messy way to organize a file.

I have learned from Jonathan Pickup that it is best for your drawing to use the fewest layers as possible. I generally have one layer for each floor / level of my building and then use the appropriate class for the objects I am drawing on those layers. I end up with a large number of classes with only a few layers.

Minimizing the number of layers will keep your drawing file sizes smaller as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob

I have learned from Jonathan Pickup that it is best for your drawing to use the fewest layers as possible. I generally have one layer for each floor / level of my building and then use the appropriate class for the objects I am drawing on those layers. I end up with a large number of classes with only a few layers.

This approach assumes an architectural workflow. You'd be surprised what VW is used for. While I don't disagree with the idea of minimizing the number of layers, in my workflow I have a unique layer for each scenic element or exhibit area. This isn't just for organization but also for smooth back and forth to C4D and because I have to present each separated out on a sheet layer.

KM

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is a guy who makes shoes in Vectorworks. Sneakers and padded/armored boots for riding motorcycles and ATVs. Each layer is a different part of the (apparently MANY) layers of plastic, foam and cloth that make up the sole. There is a huge array of things that people do with the software it was never intended for. Love it.

In any case, search-ability for classes/layers (maybe a simple search box at the top of the nav palette?) is a solid wish, and I can see the benefit of an organizational system for layers, submitting requests now.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
... in my workflow I have a unique layer for each scenic element or exhibit area. This isn't just for organization but also for smooth back and forth to C4D and because I have to present each separated out on a sheet layer.

Dillon, might you be able to share one of your typical files here, with the existing layer and class setup you're using? It might help to have us check it out, as we may have suggestions how to arrange or streamline things while we wait for Jim's requests to become a reality.

I know that I have certainly appreciated colleagues' input when it comes to using the software in new ways.

-Neil