Plant Tags?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

After my careful scientific analysis I have come to the conclusion that it is completely random and without rhyme or reason of any kind. ;)

If you always draw exactly the same shape, it appears consistent, but after drawing out lots of iterations in various shapes, it isn't picking a particular place in the line (I have seen 1, 2, 3 and 8 as the selected tags) or whatever was drawn first or last, or even whichever one is the highest or lowest or furthest left and right.

Submitting as an issue now.

Hi Bruce

It's very easy to change the location of which plant receives the tag by moving the vertex at the end of the tag....since we are discussing tags, what default settings dictate the font and size? I'm forever changing this once I start a drawing even thought a template file is used.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
what default settings dictate the font and size? I'm forever changing this once I start a drawing even thought a template file is used.

With the plant tool active and no objects selected, go to Text > Font and pick your font and size, then place a plant.

That will set the tool default for the Plant tool specifically, the tools work separately, so if you did the same thing with the Text tool but picked a different font, then the tools would both keep their separate custom font. The key thing to remember is that NO objects can be selected when you do this, or it will just change the font of the selected object.

In the future this will likely be controllable via something save-able in a template, such as a class.

J.,

Can you explain further? I see no way to move the tag vertex, just the plant's vertex. Doing so causes very unpredictable results as Jim stated. The tag seems to switch plants randomly.

As for the font and size, I've been creating new plants by bringing plant symbols into my document from the resource browser using other libraries like those provided with Vectorworks and from other users. I see no rhyme or reason why the imported symbols use a font size different then my document's default, but I ignore that. I alter the symbol changing the definition and other options, then I delete the symbol instance from my drawing, but the altered symbol remains in my resource browser for that document. I have my font and size set as Jim suggests, then I use the plant tool to place the plant, and the font and size are as I want. I don't know if this is the most efficient work flow, but it works. I'm not a Landmark user per se, I'm just trying to learn more about it so I'm more versed with my user group.

The eyedropper tool is another way to quickly grab font settings form one plant and drop them on another plant. You may have to mess with the eyedropper settings a bit.

Hi B,

I think the font size of the Plant Tag may come from what font size was active when you created the plant or Edit it but ... and I do not really know it may be different ...

If you edit a plant in the drawing it may be different to editing same plant in the Resource Browser - Landmark not in front of me at the moment to check

Hi Bruce

To move a plant tag from one plant to another (providing the plants are grouped) you click on the tag (not the plant) and you get three vertices (see image) you can adjust/move the vertex that is located on the tagged plant to any plant in that is within the group. It will always snap to the middle which is handy. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure how to set a default font, I skirt this issue by placing all of my plants-selecting them all-then opening up my resourse browser-selecting my text style and either dragging and dropping this onto the page or double clicking it.

Yes the eyedropper tool is great...I use it quite a bit.

Edited by J. Wallace