Trouble with Data Exchange vs. filenames...

Hi,

I'm trying to get Data Exchange to work properly for me in Spotlight 2014 on mac. Unfortunately, the company I work for uses filenames in the format of month.date.year - showname.vwx ... this seems to cause some issues with Data Exchange. It looks like sometimes it is saving to month.date.year-showname.xml, sometimes it is saving to month.xml, and other times to month.date.xml. This is wreaking havoc on Lightwright as data is not passing properly between programs. I tried to do the DocumentSettings->SpotlightPreferences->File Path:/A Custom Location, and have it create an xml file with a simpler filename (no dots), but it only creates an invalid xml file with zero filesize.

Any ideas on a workaround for this? Don't think that convincing people to adopt a new naming standard is going to work as I think I am the only person who cares about the data exchange ability...

Thanks!

Spotlight will name the xml file whatever comes before (to the left of) the first dot, EXCEPT directly after a Save As (or if you turned on data exchange before saving the file), in which case it uses the full file name. The workaround would be to do a Full export on exit in the Spotlight preferences, which will again export to a file named after the first part.

In your case, that means your xml file will always be named month.xml after a full export, which means that you will have to re-link to LW with each version, but at least with the above workaround you can get the file name to stay consistent.

This is a confirmed bug and is on the list to be fixed at some point.

As a side note, your file naming conventions do make sorting difficult. If you can convince them to change, showname - year.month.date (with two digit dates and months) makes the latest version much easier to find. Even better for data exchange, of course, would be showname.year-month-date.

-Josh