Standing seam roof

You might be able to use the Surface Array, but I have never tried it for this specific task. Otherwise I suspect you are going to end up with at least some (or one large) Solid Subtraction in order to make it work. Then, what about the ridge caps, etc.? Will you model those too?? It could be somewhat time consuming.

As Peter says, it may not be worth the effort, but here's my take on this if a detailed model is desired:

Definitely convert to symbol any items that repeat. But you may have lots of uniques in valleys and hips. Individual symbols can be asymmetric scaled for length with flat end via OIP, but scaling a piece with angle cut might be a problem. Angles require Convert to Group (no longer a symbol) or cutting a new extrude with the Split tool.

Hybrid idea - use a bunch of square end symbols. For any angled areas, create a short angle piece as a symbol and snap one onto end of each straight piece. Create a custom angle symbol for each type/angle of valley or hip.

Another strategy - One face of the roof can be made into a symbol, containing for example several symbols scaled at different lengths, and some raw extrudes cut on angle for the valley. This big symbol can be mirrored across the ridge to save some file size and render time. But that only works if config is symmetrical and any assymetric penetrations do not have to actually penetrate. eg skylights need a hole through all the roof layers so they display proper interior views and sections. Plumbing vents, electrical masts through the eve, chimneys etc might not need holes modeled through the roofing symbol.

-B

Thanks

I think it might end up being a variety of these but I do like the surface array option and large symbols idea. the roof is hipped with four equally sized dormers, so I believe ill be able to set up a couple large symbols and then add them to the roof as needed.

Ill follow up with what I come up with.

Thanks

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Two thoughts here:

1) A co-worker just used the Framing Member Tool - Rafter mode to quickly model every seam. Works quite well.

2) A while back I tried to modify a board and batten texture to include displacement mapping at the battens. I couldn't get it to come together quickly or intuitively and didn't have time to train myself to properly make this overlay. It seems to me that a Standing Seam texture could have a displacement map added to it that extended the seams above the roof plane adequately to cast shadows.

Step by step training videos on the Service Select site would be very helpful here.

• Like 1

thanks for your thoughts Joeeph

I did use that technique for making exposed rafter tails on the same project. Although for the standing seam detail, I fond it was pretty easy to just extrude a seam and add it to the roof. I used the mirror tool a lot on duplicate roof faces in order to save time.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

In working with the new Roof Styles I hit on a Standing Seam model technique I should have realized a long time ago.

Any Roof Object or now component of a Roof Style can be run through the Roof Framer where Framing Member PIO's of the size and spacing you choose fill the cavity.

If your roof is already built you can duplicate it in place, alter the thickness to 1 1/2" and move it up so it stacks on your roof. Then select the Standing Seam Roof objects and run the Roof Framer. Toggle on Rafters to be created and create a custom size that is 1/8" x 1 1/2" and then set your desired spacing.

All the roof objects are filled with seams. You may have to tweek the orientation and do some stretching and aligning but thats minor.

Modify the thickness of the original roof objects down to 1/8" thick and you have your surface layer of metal for your renderings. Your seams will now show properly in your black and white hidden line elevations.

Joe

I did this as the designer wanted to see the profile and it worked very nicely with great results in the rendering.

I created the profile and extruded a big sheet, then sliced up what I needed for each section of the roof. This way I could use the same extruded sheet and copied it around and if I needed change it I was able to double click and go in and change the clip.

PS I used solid subtraction to clip the roof sheeting.

Also i converted the roof sheeting to an Auto Hybrid otherwise the roof sheeting wont show in Top Plan Mode.

See image.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • 2 months later...

Another easy way to do standing seams is to duplicate your roof faces (ungroup your "roof" if you used that tool successfully), change the roof thickness to something like 2", raise the roof surface so it sits on top, then edit the roof surface. With the source polygon in front of you, draw the space between two ribs, say 15 1/2" wide for a 1/2" rib spaced 16"o.c., draw it much longer than the roof, duplicate array at your rib spacing, arrange the array over the source polygon, select all, and subtract surface. Delete (or better, cut, for future roof surfaces), and your roof source polygon should just be a bunch of 1/2" stripes that start/stop at the roof edge. Exit the roof edit, and assign the roof top texture to the roof sides, and it should look just about perfect.