Relationship between 2d and 3d parts of a hybrid symbol

Kevin McAllister

Question

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Submitting request now.

While they're at it, does anyone feel it would be useful to be able to switch between the different editing modes from within one editing mode? I have always felt this might be an easier way to handle switching as well as make it more obvious to newer users what they were editing.

For example, at the top right, a button for "Exit Symbol" as there is now, in addition to "Switch to 2D/3D" that would let the user quickly swap to the other editing mode?

• Like 1

I have it as a right click context menu. But I would also love to see the viewport perhaps do an "auto hybrid". That way one could set the cutting plane at say...4' and get the furniture and floor in a top view, walls at a cutting plane height and things above nice and dashed....the way it's been drawn in theater, live events, television and film for years. Right now Top/Plan only activates the 2d portion of anything in the viewport.

Putting this kind of control at the viewport level makes a lot of sense to me.

Thanks Jim.

I use the right click to switch modes too. I think the modes is shows are 2D, 3D and wall hole. Its interesting that there's nothing onscreen that actually tells you which "layer" of the symbol you're editing. The background colour doesn't even change when you're in a 3d view.

Something else that still needs to get fixed is you still can't select a standard view from the mode bar when you edit a symbol directly from the resource bar instead of clicking on one in the drawing. It was never clear to me why this difference exists. (You can select a standard view from the View menu however.)

KM

While they're at it, does anyone feel it would be useful to be able to switch between the different editing modes from within one editing mode? I have always felt this might be an easier way to handle switching as well as make it more obvious to newer users what they were editing.

For example, at the top right, a button for "Exit Symbol" as there is now, in addition to "Switch to 2D/3D" that would let the user quickly swap to the other editing mode?

Nice Jim! very intuitive, in addition perhaps using the number pad view keys could works too, also this functionality would be welcome in Symbols and VPs editing as well.....

i.e. 1-9 automatically switches to (corresponding) 3D editing view/mode and 0 switches to 2D Top/Plan editing mode, don't know what key would work for edit Symbol Options and 3D Wall Hole Component, perhaps 'cmd + a number pad key' would be good for those?!

Edited by Vincent C

I'm all for a key command but I think it should be one key that cycles myself. One of the best features I've ever seen is the way to switch views in Netfabb. The space bar steps through all the views. I wish the same single key cycling existed for stepping through the mode bars. The existing system is clunky and takes up way too many hot keys.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
The space bar steps through all the views. I wish the same single key cycling existed for stepping through the mode bars. The existing system is clunky and takes up way too many hot keys.

That seems like it would just make it clunky in the other direction though, I see the future conversations going this way:

Q: "How to I change to right isometric?"

A: "Hit spacebar repeatedly until you get to it."

Q: "Why cant I just have a hotkey for the view I want? Pressing spacebar a random number of times is cumbersome."

Having one key that toggled and then leaving the other view shortcuts would solve both problems, as long as it was possible to remap the built in numpad mappings in the new system if they were no longer desired.

I no longer "double click" hybrid symbols to edit them ? "on the drawing". I "right click" and find them in the resource browser. This process appears to orient the 2D portion of a Hybrid Symbol in the traditional "X - Y" logic. No additional steps (Inefficient) needed.

Double clicking some symbols "in the drawing" often ends up, as Kevin pointed out, in some position that ? really makes no sense and frankly is just frustrating when you're trying to relate items to each other.

Ha ha I suppose.

The cycling through is actually way better than you think. Open netfabb and try it ;-) And I was only suggesting it would be good for the mode bar at the top of the screen and switching editing modes in a symbol (3 possibilities). You have to admit tab works pretty well in the floating data bar....

We're way off topic now. But I suppose its ok to highjack my own thread.... I think a bigger issue is not being able to remap the view shortcuts. I don't have a numeric keypad....

Kevin

Relationship between 2d and 3d parts of a hybrid symbol - Layer / Screen

One item that I though would be interesting when the Layer / Screen Plane options were introduced was a Hybrid Symbol with the three methods in a single component. A Hybrid naturally switches components 2D to 3D when in the Top Plan View and then in a perspective. No classes or settings needed. This simplicity has long been an excellent (efficient) part of VW (We use almost 90% hybrid symbols).

This allows the 2D world to be simple and look simple vs the convoluted spiderwebs I often see with Plan Views drawn in other 3D CAD software.

One would think a Hybrid Symbol created from an 3D extrude, a Layer Plane object and a Screen Plane object would have a added level of representation. In reality the Screen and Layer Plane item now behave almost as one. Individually the Layer Plane item and the extrude show in Perspective. As a Symbol, the Layer Plane item behaves as a Screen Plane Item.

Make a Single Hybrid Symbol with these three components. Now edit and Delete the extrude. The Remaining items - 1 @ Layer Plane and 1 @ Screen Plane now behave the same. Edit this Hybrid Symbol and see that the items, while still designated as Layer Plane and Screen Plane ? are just not playing together as expected.