Section viewport not including trees

So I'm trying to create a section viewport of a portion of a site model. The area shown in the attached image is not large or complex, but when I go and create this all the trees are either removed or rotated on a 90...This happened to me a couple of years back and I'm not sure why or how I worked around it. Any help would be appreciated.

Image section1 is what you see when you double click the view port and go to edit the active layer...the trees are there.

I should also add that the appropriate layers and classes are visible.

Edited by J. Wallace

Jamie - Not sure what you mean by rotated or removed, but here are a couple guesses:

Removed - The Section VP has a couple places to control visibility of objects beyond cut plane. In the VP OIP, there is a checkbox for Display Objects Beyond View Plane. And, near the bottom of the OIP for the Section VP click Advanced Settings>Extent tab explore the Infinite and Finite options. Adjust the Depth Range as nec.

Rotated - If you mean that the trees always have same face to the view plane, there is a checkbox for that in the OIP of the Image Prop. I think it defaults to On. Select all the trees, toggle it off and rotate the trees individually.

hth

-B

OK, more wild guesses and stupid stuff to try on a duplicate file:

System needs a reboot?

Unified View?

Try toggling on and off and back on.

Delete all but one of the trees and try with that

Corrupt object or Trees or DTM or both are jumped up from previous versions of VW?

Try editing the tree image prop symbol. Get to the edit screen or dialog for each element. Move element then move it back, change a value in the texture screen then change if back (maybe exit the dialog and reenter it to change things back). Are these hybrid symbols?

Related - Recreate the image prop with a new image. or test with a new stock image prop from the current version of VW.

Super long shot - Those trees exist on more than one layer, and the VP has the wrong one visible.

Simple test. Paste the DTM and one of the trees into a new file and create a VP and test the render in the new file. If all good, dupe the tree along the swale and test again. Related - start with a fresh, simple DTM and a stock image prop.

There is a screen rotated view in the drawing - unrotate it.

Maybe more ideas later.

-B

Hi Benson

I tried all of your suggestions...no luck.

Here's an image showing the swale with trees (and yes they have been sent to surface) with the section detail which leaves them out. I'm at a bit of a loss...I was really hoping show some of these sections in the drawing but for some reason they don't want to show up...the image shows a new plant being used.

Edited by J. Wallace

Same problems in a new file with new (simple) DTM, new image prop, new section VP? Can you post the test file?

Is your OpenGL set to use textures? (must be, because your flyover view shows the image based tree image props).

I converted 2012 file to 2013 SP4 with DTM and trees, and found some strange behavior. But when I pasted the DTM source data into a new file, and created a new DTM, pasted in the old modifiers and old trees, things started working properly again.

Usually visibility problems are class related. So check the class settings in the Section VP. The tree image props or symbol could have a class, but the components of the image prop could have additional classes. These classes all need to be visible. Check the layers, too. The trees can be on a different layer from the DTM.

Meanwhile, heres a workaround: Paste a 2d tree into the annotations of the Section VP.

-B

Hi Benson

Thank you for all your help...when something like this happens I get a bit of a stubborn streak and want to sort this out.

Yes same issue with new file and new dtm created using the same contours. Funny enough I did not when I set up this simple file that there were two slightly different sets of 3d contours. I deleted one which doesn't seem to have made much difference. I have also noticed that the model is very slow compared to other models I've made, saying that it is larger in size but not a huge change in grade.

OpenGL set to textures...not sure how that is done but all the rendering I have done has been on fast RW. I put in new tree symbols no luck , I can however see the tree if I place a tree prop in place in addition to the plant 2/3d symbol. Weird?

Early on I made all layers and classes visible just in case something was acting up.

I didn't have any luck with the work around, although it sounds brilliant it seems when your pasting in a plant image prop in annotations mode it thinks your in top/plan view and wants to place the image incorrectly.

The simple file I made is pretty big even when I compressed it so I thought a dropbox link would help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rptnepc23kcs5k/Model%20sample.vwx

I think it's a bug. Can anyone confirm? The section VP cannot render the 3d textured plant plugins (eg Apies alba) except OpenGL. All Renderworks modes blank the trees. Seems that the2d/3d plant with image prop hybrid is incompatible with Renderworks in the Section VP. If OpenGL is acceptable, then following workaround is not necessary.

Create a new class, eg "3d Apies alba": Use at Creation, Solid fill, in Render>Other tab Use Texture at Creation, Apies alba texture selected. (could switch for any other texture)

In the Design Layer with DTM and trees, switch to Wire frame, Flyover view (not Top/Plan), select one of the trees which should show in the section vp: Convert to Group (cmd K), result is a group at z=0. Ungroup (cmd U) result is an image prop. Raise it to proper z. Assign the image prop to class "3d Apies alba".

Make this new tree a symbol, and place instances as needed.

Display the sheet layer and select the section vp:

OIP>Advanced Section Properties>Attributes tab>Separate Cross Sections>Use Attributes of Original Objects. Objects Beyond Section Plane>Fill>Use Original.

Big downside - the 2d plant tag is gone. It might be possible to put the tag in as a new hybrid symbol. I didn't try it. Or leave the existing Plant Object trees in the drawing, 2d tags intact, and have the new symbols placed coincident on their own new layer. In the Section VP, turn on the new layer and turn off the old ones.

I really hope someone has a better handle on this. Otherwise it's a pretty bad bug.

-B

Simple example with generic Evergreen tree hybrid symbol from Site Planning Tool Set> Plant tool.

The tree symbol renders fine in DL. Top/Plan shows the 2d graphic. Other views show the image prop.

In Section VP it renders with OGL, but not Renderworks modes.

Small tree is image prop extracted from the tree symbol (and scaled down).

I don't think there are any settings in the Section VP, plant definition, classes, renderworks or anything else which will Renderworks the tree symbol in the Section VP.

Submitting as bug if no counter examples or solutions.

-B

vwx file = 7mb prox. too big for filemanager. Here's the Dbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/do5yko8s0s31jng/SectionVP%20RenderBug.vwx

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10837&filename=SectionVP%20RenderBug.png

Hi Benson

Thanks for all the energy you put into this challenge... I really appreciate it. Funny that the same issue popped up while I was working on another project using VW2013, somehow I worked around it, don't recall how. Sounds like this bug was present in the last version of VW. I often work in either wireframe or FRW so I did not notice the fact that all was well in that rendering mode. It will be nice to see this fixed.

Thanks again.

Edited by J. Wallace

All - I did bug submit this with cc to tech support. Tech (not Jim W) can reproduce the no render problem and submitted as issue to engineering for review. Tech indicated that they will forward engineering comments or results.

Good catch, Jamie. This is basic functionality for Section VPs, so interesting it took this long to run across the problem and report it.

-B

I can confirm that I have had this same exact problem. Image prop plants rotate 90 degrees in Section Viewport. I submitted to Jim several months ago and he confirmed it was a problem. I haven't heard back about a solution.

I'm curious but haven't tested whether other image props also rotate in section viewport. Or is it specific to the tree symbols?

I'm not at a desk with VW so I can't test now.

Dillon