exporting sheet layers only to another vectorworks file

taliho

Question

Hi-

Im working with an interior designer that would like just my sheet layers of interior elevations. She happens to be using an earlier version of vectorworks.

Can sheet layers be exported without also including all the model layers that generated these elevations? (my understanding is that its not possible)

I am hesitant to spend the time cleaning up my file of 20+ model layers in order to send just those needed for the elevations. Some info may not transfer accurately between my 2014 version and her 2013 version

I sent pdf, but I was wondering if there is another format which would make it possible to work with individual drawings on the sheet

I also tried converting the drawing to lines before sending - is there a better option?

Thanks

Tali

9 answers to this question

As you surmised, the sheet layers do not export as files by themselves for import into another file.

Can you save a copy of your file as v2013 and transmit that without any cleaning? The consultant could then work in your file (saved views, sheet layers, etc), or reference layers of your file, or copy paste from your file.

It might be useful to clean a copy of the file, though, if you need to transmit it back and forth as the project continues. And both work in v2013 for easy transfer.

There is a crazy workaround for moving sheets between files. Import or copy/paste in place the relevant design layers from source file to target file, create blank sheet layers in the target file and name them same as in the source file, group each VP on a source Sheet, select all the groups, paste in place into the target file. Repeat for each sheet. This process is prone to naming errors if there are similarly named objects, resources, layers, etc already existing in the source file.

I never tried this with referenced DVLPs instead of actual geometry, but that might work, too.

All that is almost same as sending the whole file to the consultant.

-B

Thanks so much -

I am up against this again.

I have a full set of drawings -

18 design layers

20 sheet layers

numerous classes.

My landscape designer needs only 2 of the drawings and only some of the info on each...

I did open a new file and copied and edited and deleted - but boy, there's gotta be a better way!

Hi,

You import the Class, Design layer or sheet layer from other drawings into a blank document or any VW document. You have the option to just import the Class, Design layer or sheet layer with just the names or with everything on that Class, Design layer or sheet layer.

Click on the Organization Pallet and choose new and click choose and you browse to a drawing and select the Class, Design layer or sheet layer you want to import,. Tick import layer objects if you want the information off that Class, Design layer or sheet layer.

And done.

Hope this is what you were after?

Edited by Alan Woodwell
15 hours ago, Blars said:

I need to move sheet layers from one .vwx file to another.  Is this possible?  Thanks,

No this is not really possible in the way you probably want, by importing layers in the new document or copy/paste as viewports cannot be copy/pasted from one drawing to another, though someone found a way to get viewports from one file to another as listed in one of the replies above.

Use the create new layer and in the dialog select import design layers first as you will need those as well and also select import objects and then hit ok, then select the new sheet layers and again use the import from which drawing you want to move the sheet layers. With design layers you have the option to import the objects, but with sheet layers this does not happen. You will need to copy/paste the sheet layers content from one drawing to the other BUT..., as said above, you cannot copy/paste viewports from one drawing to another. So you will have to use the method described by Benson Shaw above or recreate the viewports if you run into issues, but it is possible the copy/paste the other items and have the sheet layer named the same due to the import so that you can more easily keep track of them when doing the copy/paste.

Edited by Art V

Yes.  I had a situation with multiple people working on a project from different files and it got very confusing which file contained which sheet.  I was hoping to just take a sheet with all its viewports and annotations and somehow slip it into another file just to organize the mess a bit.  All of the linework on classes and layers was the same... i just wanted to move the sheet rather than recreate it.  But... life's not easy.  maybe in 2018?

Thanks.