poly line extrude

this may seem like a dumb question (it does to me) when I extrude a closed poly line with solid fill the result is an extrude of the perimeter not what I expected ( a solid) using the polygone tool yeilds a solid as long as I don't edit in any curves (which changes it to a poly line) the object I am looking for is nonsymetrical so I can't sweep it ..now the question how do I get a solid object from a curved 2d object???????? I can't beleive I can't figure this out !!!

can any one straighten me out

Mike

If the object is a polyline and is given a solid fill before extruding, the extruded object is a solid object.

If extruding the object with a none fill and giving it a solid fill after the extrude, you still get a solid object.

In wireframe, it may look like it's not filled but once it's rendered it looks fine.

If you have a 2d object and want it to be a polygon instead of a polyline, use the convert to polys command under the tool menu.

Katie

That is how I thought it should work but it doesn't I just tried it again with a new blank doc I create a closed polyline object with a solid fill , extrude it 'render it and I get an object that is only the perimeter with no fill showing but the attributes pallette shows a solif fill with the object selected oddly I just tried it with the polygon tool again and it creates a hollow object as well which is new I used it friday and i got a solid ?????

Mike

HI Katie

I did some more tinkering I opened a new doc with a diferent template and both polyline and polygon work normaly this is without a restart and the ofending drawing still open in the backround I also tried to copy a properly filled extruded polyline from the working drawing to the other and it remained properly filled in fact I can turn off the fill and back on and it works fine???????? isit posible that my standard template has some prefrence misset or perhaps corupted .

Mike

Mike,

It sounds like something quirky is going on in the template file itself.

You can open the template file, export it as VectorScript (if it doesn't have any PIO's in it) and then import it back in as VectorScript in a new blank document. Resave the template to overwrite the old one. You should be back in business.

The other option is to copy and paste the file into a new, blank document (not another template file as the template file itself could cause a problem), and save the new file as a template and overwrite the old one.

Katie

Thanks I folowed your sugestion and am making solid polyline extrudes again in my standard template . this template is one that I have copied from one version to the next as far back as I can rember is this possible that is the problem ??? I have several others of varying ages and so far no problems with them

Thanks again

Mike

If you start off with a polyline and then convert it to a polygon for extruding -- check to make sure "Closed" is checkmarked in the OIP. Otherwise, the object will only have sides and no top or bottom surface.

It's not closed therefore the program doens't know how to make a surface wtih an open ended object to fill that one side. So, it just leaves the outlining line.

Hi Katie

I have converted the template containing (drawing borders title boxes etc...) to each sucessive version like any other file by just opening it in the new version I rarely go back to older versions (although I have back to version 8.0 installed , I removed the minicad versions with my last hardware upgrade) any way I guess the question is are the old converted templates possibly causing problems??

I don't have a closed object box in the oip . but one is in the object properties box (double click tool) and it is checked In any event since I deleted the bad template I can't recreate the problem so this is mostly wasting time you could be spending with people who have real problems Thanks again for your help

Mike

• 11 years later...

I had the same problem with polygon extrudes. Some of mine were solid and some not. If you double click the extrude it takes you to the 2d extrude shape in my case a polygon.

In the Object Info Palette at the bottom is a "closed" button. it gives information about vertices and perimeter. Check it and you are all good.