Auto-classing hints

VincentCuclair

Question

Because of the fact that auto-classing is not integrated throughout the program but only applicable to certain objects and certain situations it would be a great help (and time saver) if the class tab on the view bar would temporarily show the default auto-class when relevant instead of the active class, (perhaps a different color could avoid confusion). see attached image.

I don't always remember if and what auto-class has been set for a specific object especially we international users need to adjust the default classes to our custom classes and this is not always optimally possible, making the use of auto classing more illogical in some situations, so this would be especially helpful for us!

A similar situation is when a wall type is set to use a specific class, one would like to see a preview of this class instead of the active class, also very helpful.

Same for symbols......

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10755&filename=Autoclass.png

Edited by Vincent C

8 answers to this question

Alternatively the auto-class could be listed in the tool options bar. This is where we look for settings unique to a tool, so it's logical to find this setting there. A check box to engage the classing would be useful as well.

I do not support making it locked away for a CAD manager. Small shops make rules as needed and change them frequently.

Alternatively the auto-class could be listed in the tool options bar. This is where we look for settings unique to a tool, so it's logical to find this setting there. A check box to engage the classing would be useful as well.

I do not support making it locked away for a CAD manager. Small shops make rules as needed and change them frequently.

IMO, in terms of Class assignment upon insertion for "whole" objects (as opposed to sub parts), in their "out-of-the-box" state PIOs and Symbols should be assigned to the Active Class. In their most basic mode, PIOs and Symbols should not dictate Class structure. That being said, users (and, CADD managers) should be given a PRACTICAL way to change that IF they choose. While I completely support the idea of a Class structure being offered, I do not believe that PIOs and Symbols, themselves, should dictate that.

Sub/embedded Classes are a slightly different animal. Users should either be offered the option to choose specific "parts" Classes or, at-minimum, the option to use sub/embedded Classes or not.