Tents

I'm trying to figure out a good way to model large scale event tents. I've tried to use the drape surface tool over the the tent poles but it never works out right. I don't know if geometery of the tents is too complicated for VW to figure out. I've also tried using the loft surface tool but that isn't really what I'm looking for either. This is more or less what I'm trying to make:

[img:center]http://uniqueattractions.com.au/images/visu_img_6.jpg[/img]

Any help would be great.

I did a drawing of a tent like this a couple years ago. If I remember correctly I used 'create surface from rails' to do it.It was that or create surface from curves. I am pretty sure I drew half of 1 peak and duplicated it and added surface. I'll look and see if I can find that drawing.

I could not find my file, so I did a very quick drawing of it. I used Loft Surface. I drew 3 nurbs curves. 1 was the curve going from the bottom to the top of the pole, 1 was from the pole towards the next pole (but I only drew half of that curve) and the last was the flat part near the bottom. Then I lofted Surface with the Birail sweep mode. Then Mirror and duplicate, and add surface.

I hope this helps.

Seem to be a lot of tents lately. Summer festivals?

In case anyone is still looking, here's one approach. Taller poles for longer drop to the drain panels would help for a better look. These things require some serious engineering. The fabric takes quite a load from tension, wind & precipitation.

The corners, sides and ends are simple Loft Surface of 3 Nurbs Curves. The blue corner NURBS curves are all same shape.

The drain panels are probably easiest as Loft Surface in One Rail Mode with ridge as the rail, and 3 profiles to control the droop. These can also be done as simple Lofts, but the resulting center fall line then needs z adjustment upward to prevent water basin effect.

HTH

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10753&filename=8PoleTent.png

Edited by Benson Shaw