VW 2014 OpenGL rendering out of Memory error

Mickey

Please see the attached jpeg to support this conversation.

I have a bit of a WTF question.

My workstation is not the fastest corporate computer out there but it doesn't suck.

W7 64b

16gb ram

Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz (4 core)

Nvidia quadro K600 1gb ram

I have a model that is fairly complex, but nothing I think is exceptional. I'm trying to do quick renderings in OpenGL, and I get this "out of memory" error.

I opened a couple of system monitors to see if any of the cores, or gpu, or memory were maxing out.

They are not yet still I get the error.

When you look at the attached jpeg on the left is the model and the error message, and on the right (my second screen) is the task manager, and the Nvidia maximus utility.

You can see that the system is not taxed very hard.

So I ask.

What gives.

I hope others will jump in here, but this condition is usually described as a limit in Vectorworks for how much memory can be addressed by the software, rather than the RAM/virtual memory available. It seems to be cumulative in Vectorworks until the limit is reached. No automatic clear. The advice is usually to reset via a system restart and Vectorworks relaunch.

-B

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For now you are hitting Vectorworks' internal memory limit, which is around 2.7-3.5 GB or RAM. You could install 128GB of RAM at the moment and Vectorworks would still be limited to less than 4.

As stated above, the only way to reset it now if it gets stuck is to relaunch the application. This will go away soon, but other than reducing the complexity of the file itself or tweaking VW preferences there is no other workaround at the moment:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1127/Enhancing+the+Speed+and+File+Size+of+3D+Geometry

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1113/Increasing+Vectorworks%27+Speed%7B47%7DResponsiveness

For now you are hitting Vectorworks' internal memory limit, which is around 2.7-3.5 GB or RAM. You could install 128GB of RAM at the moment and Vectorworks would still be limited to less than 4.

As stated above, the only way to reset it now if it gets stuck is to relaunch the application. This will go away soon, but other than reducing the complexity of the file itself or tweaking VW preferences there is no other workaround at the moment:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1127/Enhancing+the+Speed+and+File+Size+of+3D+Geometry

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1113/Increasing+Vectorworks%27+Speed%7B47%7DResponsiveness

Wow that's stupid.

How do people do complicated renderings with full lighting?

I don't even have a lot of lights, and very few textures.

I'll try to reduce the settings, but that just sucks.

Trust me, I am fully aware and in agreement.

As for how its done now, depends on the file. Often there is just an odd piece of geometry that needs to be simplified to bring you back under the memory limit, or adjustments to the render settings themselves. However sometimes the model has to be broken up into multiple components, rendered, then combined later, which is why we are getting rid of this limit ASAP.

If you can send me your file at the address in my sig I can take a look and see if anything can be done in the meantime.

To throw some fuel on this fire I opened the file on my home computer and it renders just fine.

No memory issues.

My home rig has slightly better processor, less ram, and relatively good graphics card

W7 64b

8gb Ram

AMD FX-6200 Six-Core Processor 3.8ghz

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series 1gb vram

I render the whole screen in OpenGL Hi Res, and I can do Render bitmaps very quickly. No out of memory issues.

I know Windows hardware is infinitely configurable, but there has to be a link.

Is my home rig not using all of the ram because the video card is processing it rendering better?

edit: now I'm trying to break things. I've upped the Render Bitmap resolution from the default 72 to 200, and no drop in performance.

Edited by Mickey

I have seen far less trouble for users with Radeon cards from AMD and GeForce cards from Nvidia compared to their workstation models; the FirePro and Quadro series, respectively. Even if they are spec'd out the same. Much of this can be attributed to the drivers but there still isn't anything fully effective or consistent that can be done until the upgrade to Vectorworks' memory management, among other things is complete unfortunately.

I have seen far less trouble for users with Radeon cards from AMD and GeForce cards from Nvidia compared to their workstation models; the FirePro and Quadro series, respectively. Even if they are spec'd out the same. Much of this can be attributed to the drivers but there still isn't anything fully effective or consistent that can be done until the upgrade to Vectorworks' memory management, among other things is complete unfortunately.

This might be enough to get my IT team to get us some better video cards.

We're stuck using these Dell workstations that have good processing but not so good video cards.

Thanks

If you open the file, it might render fine. It's a cumulative effect. After working with the file for awhile it will happen. You relaunch the program and you can render again. This didn't happen in 2013.

I have very complex models with lighting. I recently trimmed down my model by dumping unneeded geometry and such and using more symbols. The problem happens less but still happens.

I have 16 GB of ram. I thought it was because I was running three monitors, but disconnecting a monitor didn't do anything.