Framing Member PIO: Quantity Label BUG ?

Patrick Fritsch

Question

Is there a hidden place to set this rounding up of the member size displayed in the "quantity label" field of the framing tool?

I cannot do it in the OIP, and some of the rounding is wrong, see the attached pics (it rounds a 2.5" x 7.5" to a 4" x 8"). It looks like the program is attempting to determine the Nominal label when we input the actual, but it's not working correctly. In addition, in timber-framing we usually prefer to work with the actual displayed in our worksheets as many of our timbers are custom sizes.

Edited by Fritsch

7 answers to this question

Yup same issue here. Framing member quantity label rounds up. So I decided to spend some time in the help and check out the changes. The help is a lot better than before. wow. Found an answer tried it out seems to work. There should be some wa yto modify the text file within VW without having to exit.

So this is what help says:

Quantity Label

Describes the standard material size required for the specified framing member, for use in quantity worksheets.

When there is no standard material size that accommodates a specified measurement, the label displays a ?. You can edit the Lumber Sizes.txt file (located in your Vectorworks folder/Plug-ins/VW_Arch/Data/Lumber Sizes.txt) to add material sizes that are available in your locale. Restart the Vectorworks software after editing the .txt file for the changes to take effect.

http://app-help.nemetschek.net/2015/NNA/eng/VW2015_Guide/Structural/Creating_Framing_Members.htm

Edited by John Meunier

That kind of helps John Thanks, but Jim that should not be the only default behavior available. Around here there is a lot of Timber Framing and Alaskan Mills that cut up any dimension required, so there are no nominal standards, I'd have to input every number in that txt file. I've attached a worksheet image where I had to query the specific Width/height and length in separate columns.

Jim there is another bug, the "custom" structural uses only show up as a number, see attached image.