Copy measured distance to clipboard

Patrick Fritsch

Question

I find myself often measuring distances with the tape measure tool and then I need to input that measurement somewhere else (like a walls top or bottom offset).

Can we please have the ability to simply hit the tab key to enter the measured distance as recorded in the popup display this would then allow me to use ctrl+C to copy and crtl+V to paste it wherever I need it. Currently it's a pain to have to write it down on paper and then type it back in.

Simple but productive request.

14 answers to this question

Alas, it still doesn't work, but it might be a difference in data bar settings? What data bar settings are you using?
Depending on settings I don't get into the length, or the length changes to zero if hitting tab does get into the field for length (not total length which is more important for me)

4 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Hi I hit g key at first point and move curser to desired point Andy you see the x or y distance change it the curser bar. Will do a screen shot later when at computer.

Yes, it does change, but depending on settings I get into the length [L] field of the data/cursor bar and that then changes to zero but I can't get into the total length [TL] which is usually something that I need or need as well. Or I don't get into the length box at all, let alone in the total length depending on databar settings.

Alan, thanks for the video, I finally realised that I should not be in the tape measure tool when using your method, or any other tool, nor click for the first point, just hover to set a datum and then proceed as you described.
Now it works.

The downside is that it only works for a single distance, and not for a compound length measurement as is possible with the tape measure tool, so Patrick's original issue still remains. But it is useful to know anyway for those times where I need a single distance between two points, as it is easier than using e.g. drawing a line to copy the length.