Create Drape Surface does not cover object

From what I can tell the drape appears correct. The U and Z values are not distances but the number of control points--the smaller the value the more rounded-over the drape. The actual plane size is determined by VW based on the object to be draped and is not user accessible, to my knowledge.

The Z value is the end of the drape, [0] being the layer plane, or "floor". One could put in [-10]....

Post the VW file for more checking.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Actually, that video is one of mine from way back when. A lot of the earlier videos were pared down for content to keep them short, the 101s don't leave ANYTHING out now if I have anything to say about it, but some of the early video content omits a few steps.

For the final renders you see for the table cloth, either:

1) Just the drape was desired, so the under-objects were either removed or turned off.

2) If you want to keep the underneath object, as when creating a table cloth, select the draped surface and scale it up with Modify > Scale Objects, to something like 1.05 to make the cloth "fit".

Then you can use the extrude to subtract the bottom squared corners as mentioned in the video, or more simply you can just enter a side view, then use the Split tool in the split by line mode to slice off the extra material.

I came up with a work-a-round.

I determined the percentage that the 'drape' needed to be enlarged by measuring the flat top of the drape vs. the top of the table.In this case, the difference was 59" vs 72", or 1.04 times larger. I scaled the drape with the Symmetric by Distance tool (Modify>Scale Objects>Symmetric by Distance).

I then had to move the piece just above the 30" high table surface....It works, but sure would be easier if the drape tool worked like it was meant to to begin with...tom

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I've put in a request, mainly to see WHY its always off. To be honest if it just needs a rescale at the end of the operation to fit the object, then that should be automatically performed afterwards.

It always seems to be about the same percentage off, it didn't seem to matter what shape or scale the object was I attempted to drape over, it was always slightly too small.

I'll add this thread to that request.

• 7 years later...

So..... 7 1/2 years after this string was started, there are still major issues with this tool.

Still does not scale correctly.

Split Tool and Subtract Solids will not remove the bottom of the drape object.

If the drape is a simple square/rectangle, may be able to convert the nurbs surface

On 6/12/2014 at 3:58 PM, The Cantor said:

Thanks Jim

to a mesh and then split.

But if more detail, VW crashes or you get the spinning ball.

This is in VW 2022. See screenshots.

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 3.11.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 1.31.25 PM.png