Correct mark up of hinge markers -would also like to hear from people in UK

Ive always drawn my hinge markers as per the example on the left, i was told today that a while back the standards had changed, and now the 'proper' way to draw them is the way on the right, but i couldnt find any info on this online.

What do you normally do ? Does anybody have any authoritative details references about this change ?

Im in the UK, so im not sure if this is a UK change, or if this is purely misinformation .. ?

(click on the image to make it larger)

hX0B5ww.png

Although I can't specifically confirm the UK's position on this, Australia's building standards I think are aligned more towards the British Standards generally.

In Australia it is as per image one.(how you've always drawn it) IMO, it also makes logical sense that the point of the arrow indicates the handle/lockset.

VW2014 has the capability to choose the hinge direction.

Windoor (which is now only available for existing Windoor licence holders and Australian users) has this capability also.

If you don't fall into either of the above categories, then you need to add the door swing manually, either as linework directly on the door surface or to to your door symbols.

In NZ and UK the convention is 2.

In continental Europe the convention is 1.

And it's 1 that is the ISO standard.

If anything has changed in the UK it's firms going from 2 to 1 (the ISO standard), which is what we've done. Partly driven by dealing with continental window companies.

The main thing of course is to make sure you have a key on your drawing either way.

• 4 years later...
On 6/12/2014 at 11:26 AM, BG said:

In NZ, the convention is your option 2. The arrow points towards the hinge side.

And to make it more confusing in NZ.... my Nulook windows (NZ aluminium window manufacturer) architects manual has all the windows like the left example! 

Edited by Aspect_Design
  • 2 years later...
On 6/12/2014 at 11:58 PM, Christiaan said:
Vincent C said:
(+ dashed line means the swing is away from the viewer and solid line towards the viewer.)

I've always used this one myself too, in NZ and UK.

I've learn't something new today! I've always just had a note on the door schedule to refer to plans for swing direction.

For door elevations on the door schedule I always draw the door as if it is opening towards you, I'm not sure if that is a convention or not. A "Left hung" door is a door with the hinges on the left hand side when the door is opening towards you. Right hung the opposite.

Door swing notation also takes into account the type of room and/or the side of the door that is locked. So you need to also denote left or right hand reverse if applicable.

In Canada, the hinge lines point toward the hinges.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 23.29.57.png

Edited by Ride
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Different countries having the opposite convention, in a world where it's increasingly common to have things supplied from or manufactured abroad, means that it's become a slightly useless notation that actually causes more problems than it avoids .... the world needs to come up with a new and different way to show hinge position that everyone can agree with, and get rid of this one.

(Stair arrows are a bit similar, but I think it's mostly agreed now that they point upwards not downwards?)

• 2 months later...

I was just looking for this and the internet is awash with differing opinions so I went and found the answer.

BS8541-2:2011 "Library Objects for architecture, engineering and construction (Part2: Recommended 2D symbols of building elements for use in building information modelling"

states on page 28 (for windows, not doors although I would resume the same logic for doors applies) the arrow points towards the pivot point. i.e. image 2.

• Like 2