John Whyte

Correct mark up of hinge markers -would also like to hear from people in UK

Ive always drawn my hinge markers as per the example on the left, i was told today that a while back the standards had changed, and now the 'proper' way to draw them is the way on the right, but i couldnt find any info on this online.

What do you normally do ? Does anybody have any authoritative details references about this change ?

Im in the UK, so im not sure if this is a UK change, or if this is purely misinformation .. ?

(click on the image to make it larger)

hX0B5ww.png

Although I can't specifically confirm the UK's position on this, Australia's building standards I think are aligned more towards the British Standards generally.

In Australia it is as per image one.(how you've always drawn it) IMO, it also makes logical sense that the point of the arrow indicates the handle/lockset.

VW2014 has the capability to choose the hinge direction.

Windoor (which is now only available for existing Windoor licence holders and Australian users) has this capability also.

If you don't fall into either of the above categories, then you need to add the door swing manually, either as linework directly on the door surface or to to your door symbols.

In NZ, the convention is your option 2. The arrow points towards the hinge side.

#2 in Ireland - I see the apex being fixed and the line ends swinging

#1 in Sweden and The Netherlands (+ dashed line means the swing is away from the viewer and solid line towards the viewer.)

In NZ and UK the convention is 2.

In continental Europe the convention is 1.

And it's 1 that is the ISO standard.

If anything has changed in the UK it's firms going from 2 to 1 (the ISO standard), which is what we've done. Partly driven by dealing with continental window companies.

The main thing of course is to make sure you have a key on your drawing either way.

(+ dashed line means the swing is away from the viewer and solid line towards the viewer.)

I've always used this one myself too, in NZ and UK.

@Christiaan

I was googling this issue and came back to this thread i started 5 years ago ! 

Do you know which official document would show that option 1 is the ISO standard ? 

On 6/12/2014 at 11:26 AM, BG said:

In NZ, the convention is your option 2. The arrow points towards the hinge side.

And to make it more confusing in NZ.... my Nulook windows (NZ aluminium window manufacturer) architects manual has all the windows like the left example! 

Edited by Aspect_Design

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/57508-window-hinge-marker-points-toward-handle-custom-sash-preview-flipped/

With 2018 there is this additional bit of confusion

😊