imported image

Hello

I often import or reference air photos for the base of mapping projects. The screen regen time is annoyingly slow. The back image is a PDF, and only about 7 megs in size, not a large file. Is there any way to speed up the redraw time?

Also, with these projects i often produce many smaller sheet size drawings, each pdf is as large as the whole PDF i have used for a reference, even when i am only zoomed into a smaller area. This is a problem with all drawings that i use scanned back ground images, the PDFs are too large. Its like it is including the whole reference image, and not only the area within the viewports.

cheers, jim

Vectorworks Design Series 2014

MBP 2.2 GHz i7

16 GB ram

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently the best way around this is to convert the PDF to an Image file (PNG and TIFF can keep your high res PDF clear) with either a photo editing app, or even just Mac's Preview app, then import the image instead of importing as a PDF.

Then you can use the crop feature on the imported image to only keep the portion you want.

Cropping PDFs directly (which would also improve your situation) isn't possible yet, but has been requested profusely.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You don't have to crop it, I thought one of your issues was that you did not want to see the entire large reference image?

Or did you mean the FILEsize of the exported PDF zoomed-in is as large as the original imported reference PDF?