Symbol Rename Annoyance

Andy Broomell

Question

Sometimes when naming a symbol I accidentally capitalize it incorrectly (eg. 'CHair' or 'cHAIR'). If I go to rename that symbol as 'Chair' it gives the following message: "That name is already being used by another object. Please use a different name." I understand this message and how it applies to things having unique names across Vectorworks. However, the program should be smart enough to recognize that I'm just changing the capitalization; it shouldn't induce a naming conflict with itself.

Currently I have to rename the symbol arbitrarily then name it back to the intended 'Chair'. It would great if this annoyance were eliminated. (And I think it applies to all resources).

Thanks!

-Andy

• Like 2

10 answers to this question

Andy i think this might be a Windows thing.

i've had similar HickUps with my windows mobile, but it's never been a problem with my iPod.

VW takes changes without a hitch, so far, on my Mac.

Not saying it'll never be a problem, as the OSX is slowly becoming very much more "Windows Like", for compatibility issues i assume, but that's mostly "Under the Hood" stuff, so until it affects me more directly . . . . .

:)

I'd like to see Rename also show the Resource Browser contents, so I can rename and move in the same operation. And more importantly, see how I named other, similar symbols.

This would save the steps of opening the RB folder, looking that the naming convention I used for previous symbols in this file, navigating to the symbol in question, right clicking, choosing rename, forgetting the names of the symbols I just looked up, and then starting over?.

mk

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/11/2014 at 10:42 AM, michaelk said:

I'd like to see Rename also show the Resource Browser contents, so I can rename and move in the same operation. And more importantly, see how I named other, similar symbols.

This would save the steps of opening the RB folder, looking that the naming convention I used for previous symbols in this file, navigating to the symbol in question, right clicking, choosing rename, forgetting the names of the symbols I just looked up, and then starting over?.

mk

A pull-down of existing symbol names with search would be excellent, often I'm looking to create a variation on an existing name. It would be great to select from the pulldown and begin editing.

• Like 2