Top 10 wishes for the next version of VW

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

Top 10 wishes for the next versions of VW:

#1 ? And most important: The reshape tool still has the fillet radius entry field hidden away in a submenu. Please place it directly on the data bar.

#2 The push/pull extrude face ? used on a solid object ? creates a tapered extrude and adds it to the solid, that it is used upon. This is actually a really useful feature. But when the tool is used on a 2D surface, I get an ordinary extrude, which is really just less. I want tapered extrudes everywhere and I want a taper angle entry field on the push/pull databar.

#3 Actually: Please kill the basic extruded object altogether and display a taper setting for any extrude on the OIP.

#4 The rotate setting on the OIP for extrude-along-path objects rotates the entire object. I can do that myself. I want the rotate-setting to rotate the profile within the extrude-along-path object and I want an additional setting to control how much that profile is twisted/rotated along the path.

#5 When I drag n' drop an image onto an open VW document, I want a dialogue, that provides me with a complete set of options as to how to use the imported image. With a single click, I want to be able to use the dropped image as an image, a texture, an image prop, an image fill or as a Renderworks background.

#6 Wall settings should include options for wall bases and edgings (I am not familiar with the correct terms in english). These could be texture based or consist of actual 3D geometry.

#7 Kill the Add Decal command or redesign it. It is useless in its present state.

#8 The physical skies are all blue or blueish. I wish I could change the hue and saturation

#9 Rotating image environments is a pain. In fact it is a royal pain. I often have to make several versions of the same image environment because tweaking it is so time consuming. I wish the visualization palette had a tab for renderworks backgrounds, that included a fast, intuitive tool for tweaking image environments.

#10 I wish for more tools like the Twist Tool: A Bend Tool, a Bulge Tool, a Taper Tool, a Distort Tool, etc.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard

7 answers to this question

1. i like the Fillet/Chamfer(2D&3D) tools as separate elements from the Reshape tool and find the current options available in the data bar quite useful. Mainly as the current limitations still haunting them(Fillet/Chamfer) i would prefer they didn't infect the Reshape Tool. But a better organisation and editing abilities of the Vertices in Reshape Tool would be very useful.

2. Maybe, as an Option. Not Blanket Change.

3. "NO!" i use it constantly.

4. i still find EAP only partly finished, like a beta tool(even after, what, 20 years) so absolutely anything that can improve it in any way whatsoever will be a step in the right direction.

5. Nice one . . . .

6. N/A

7. improve maybe, but why kill, even if it doesn't work?

8. OK

9. Probably . . . .

10. Most of these results can be obtained with current extrusion tools but a Nurbs distortion might help some and it's mad what you can get out of the Compression Spring Tool . . . .

Some good suggestions Kaare

Edited by AndiACD

#4 - It would be great if we could use symbols for the profiles. If I need to use the same trim profile in 8 locations, I have to go track that down to change it when I could just change the symbol once without having to mess with the EAPs. That would really just step up the game

#6 - I think the whole wall component system needs to be revised. I'd like to be able to assemble the walls out of set materials that I already define. I.E., if I make a wall w/ a layer of 5/8" (insert metric conversion) GWB, I don't want to have to type in the thickness, class, texture, ect. every time I use that common material. This becomes especially useful for multiple wall types with similar exterior finishes but different substrates or core materials.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
#4 - It would be great if we could use symbols for the profiles. If I need to use the same trim profile in 8 locations, I have to go track that down to change it when I could just change the symbol once without having to mess with the EAPs. That would really just step up the game

#6 - I think the whole wall component system needs to be revised. I'd like to be able to assemble the walls out of set materials that I already define. I.E., if I make a wall w/ a layer of 5/8" (insert metric conversion) GWB, I don't want to have to type in the thickness, class, texture, ect. every time I use that common material. This becomes especially useful for multiple wall types with similar exterior finishes but different substrates or core materials.

The first one was submitted a number of times, I will add this thread to it. The second one I have submitted recently as well and completely agree with.