referenced layers spontaneously move origin

Pretty much what the title says. We have a building model file, a interior file for the interiors of the floor plates and then several production files. In the production file, after updating references the building shell layers mysteriously ran off about 300' in the y direction and -250' in the x direction. The interior file stayed in the same location. The floor plan, wall section and elevation files all show the exterior shell in the correct place.

Any body have any thoughts other than use a better program because I'm fresh out.

• 3 weeks later...

Still running into this issue. Sent a note off to tech support last night, waiting to hear back. It's making the program unusable for projects of this scale. If there is no fix for this, we will need to realign about 60 wall section viewports with their detail annotations.

• 1 month later...

Josh, I was informed by our reseller tech support that it is due to a known bug rotating the plan and then changing layers. Apparently it was fixed in v2014 (though not in v2013 which I still use).

The workaround suggested to me was to rotate plan only by coordinates which seems bizarre. Or upgrade to 2014.

Edited to add in case it helps anyone else: they also said the problem was increased to due both files referencing the same drawings. Again I don't really understand why.

Edited by Trillian
  • 3 months later...

Hi there,

thank you for the information,

we are using 2015, and still have this problem with shifting viewport contents,

our vectorworks reseller help has been of no use so far, he suggested it would have something to do with that the scale of the referenced drawings where different, or that there was some sort of loop in the referenced way,

we tried ticking the 'ignore user source origin' tick in the editing reference window, and it solved some of them (by almost shifting it back to its original position, but not quite), but it didn't change other drawings back at all,

very odd, and still no solution to the problem,

do you have contact information for your vectorworks source that knew about this problem?

kind regards

We'll try ticking the ignore user origin & see if that helps. There is definitely a big issue there that needs fixing asap.

We've ignored it to date & shifted the errant viewports back to their correct positions, but this is a major hassle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I had this issue where one of the xrefed drawing viewports moved and we found that we fixed it by resetting the 0,0 point back on the reference drawing that moved. and reopened the drawing or refreshed the viewport reference and it came back to the original position. Don't try moving the drawing back. Just make sure they all have the same 0,0 point.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that although the 64-bit framework of 2015 makes large project files and referencing more stable, the entire workflow is still too cumbersome to be efficient. I am trying to refrain from references whenever possible and advocate for shifting platforms to something that meets our needs whenever I can.

• 7 months later...

We are having the exact issue with one of our larger projects (over 300 viewports has shifted...), some were restored by the unticking of ignore user origin box, but certainly not all,

we are on service pack 4...

still no fix in site?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Andrew: if layer referencing - right click on the viewport in the navigation window and select edit. The option to ignore source user origin is towards the bottom of this dialogue box.

We are also having this issue with VWs 2015 SP4.

It seems to affect certain user's computers more than others. Generally we check all the origins to ensure they are the same which usually works. Otherwise we have checked the ignore user origin.

We have been sent a pdf from our reseller [Tips & Tricks - origins] which explains the difference between internal, user and temporary origins. It doesn't really help as the system seems overly complex to me but we're going to try and ensure the internal origin and source origin are the same from now on to see if this helps.

This could do with being resolved ASAP as it's incredibly frustrating!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I havent seen any new recurrances of this since Vectorworks 2016 Sp2, with the caveat that some users had issues in that version IF they had created the reference BEFORE SP1 or SP1 was installed. I advise anyone who is still seeing the issue in 2016 SP2 (or later) to break and recreate that reference, then save and proceed. Let me know if the issue persists after that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...