camera film size

Hi,

the camera has a film size setting (16mm, 35mm etc.). What is this used for?

I saw on a thread of 4 or 5 years ago the answer seemed to be that it is only there so you can match a real world camera to the settings and therefore match VW with the actual shot. There were no arguments against this answer so maybe that is the case.

Anyone else have any other reasons it is there?

thank you

Edited by barkest

Have we now moved into the world where people no longer know what film sizes are?

My son recently got his very first camera. A disposable with a film inside. Not sure where were are going to get it developed. Before anyone says, no you cannot use Photoshop.

Yes. Its so you can match a shot to a film size/focal length.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Not sure where were are going to get it developed. Before anyone says, no you cannot use Photoshop.

:grin:

It also helps to calculate the focal length, which for using Renderworks cameras within Vectorworks does not really matter as far as I know. I believe it is important however in matching images taken in real life to 3D views within Vectorworks. I think most people use CameraMatch for this now, but previously this may have been to assist in that process.