Wall Assemblies

When I got out of school we were still using led holders and parallel bars. We drew framed walls as only two parallel lines, a third if there was brick or stone or some other sizable veneer. Now we can add drywall, plywood, air, etc. because the software does it for us. Question is, do you use the complex wall types provided with VW or have you generated your own? I primarily do smallish wood and light steel frame buildings and at this point all 2-d (an old new VW user).

And each time I start a renovation/addition I ask myself how to draw the dang walls! Just the studs? Studs and drywall/plaster? Should I bother making the studs 3.5" or 3.75"(old stuff) or just use 4".

Anyone else ever bothered by these basic questions?

Thanks

JM

I generally stick to the older convention that you describe. It has just never seemed worthwhile (to me) to use anything more complex, and it tends to confuse the builders, not to mention the question of exactly which part of the wall you pull a dimension to. In real life all the foundation and framing crews want is the overall framing dimensions.

Now there are some instances, like in older building where you need super accurate finished surface dimensions (e.g.: fitting an ADA Bathroom into a small space) that wall with all the components can be quite useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I always use the "complex" wall assemblies in my files. Sometimes I'll use the standard VW generated ones, sometimes I create my own depending on the finish and construction of the wall system. It is too easy to incorporate this information into the drawings that it doesn't make sense to me not to do it. It makes it easier to identify possible problems with built up finishes affecting door clearances, ADA requirements, etc. It is also easy to turn this information off in the viewports to so that you can clearly communicate the information that is needed at the scale of your drawing.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Josh-

I always use the complex wall in the model layer, then turn them off in the sheet layer for clarity. But it allows me to dimension to face of stud.

It also helps very much in section and details, when all the complex information is visible