VW 9.5.3 quits on start-up OS 10.1.5

I'm having trouble opening a file in 9.5.3. I'm using a Mac and OS 10.1.5. Everything on this file had been working great until I started adding some text using the Graphite font. Then VW crashed and after that I could not open it again. I was finally able to solve this problem by switching back to OS 9.2 and allocating tons of memory to VW, However, I still can't get the file to open in 10.1.5. It starts to open the file, then the whole program quits. Is it the font or is it some other problem? Can I increase memory allocation to VW under System 10.1.5?

Can you launch VW under OS 10.1.5 without using a file to open the program? i.e. -- go to the VW 953 folder and double click on the VW icon - blue v with a red arrow.

Does the program open sucessfully?

Can you now go to File Open and open other files?

Does it crash when you try to open your files by going to File Open within VW?

What error message do you get when you open the "bad" file?

Ellen,

Email that file to us at tech@nemetschek.net and someone here will be able to figure out what is causing the problem.

Make sure you either include a link to this post in the body of the email, or a detailed description of the problem and attempts made in the body of the email.

Probably it is the font causing the problem. You are not alone. There were numerous posts regarding this type crash when 9+ 1st came out. The only way I can open any of my existing 8.5.2 drawings in 9+ is to 1st open the drawing in 8.5.2, change all the Tekton font items to some other font, save, quit, and then open the drawing in 9.5.3, and even that doesn't always work. Even if you can open the original unaltered drawing, VW will probably still crash if you make a layer containing your problem font visible (Graphite was mentioned as a problem in earlier posts, Tekton, and Optima may also be problem). If you create a totally new drawing in 9+ and use the same fonts, the fonts don't seem to be a problem. I have finally moved to Mac OSX.2 with VW 9.5.3 and now don't seem to be having any problems with using Tekton and Optima in newly created 9.5.3 drawings.

As a follow-up to the above post, I just tried opening old 8.5.2 drawings with Tekton and Optima fonts directly in 9.5.3 without changing the fonts first and everything came through OK. What version of VW are you trying to open the drawing in? 9.0 and 9.1 were definitely a problem so I finally chucked them and waited for 9.5.3 final + OSX.2 and that seems to have cured the problem.