Problematic Sketchup (SKP) and 3DS Files

• 9 months later...

Hi Jim

I have tried to import 3D figures from Poser or DAZ 3D into VW 2016, but the texture mapping is lost in the process. I am not sure why, because I previously imported meshes with correct image mapings from Archive 3D.

I have used 3DS as well as the new OBJ – but with no success. It is too bad. I hope the Vectorworks developers will spot the problem and fix it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using VW Arch 2013 at home and I tried the Import Sketchup menu command. Nothing happened. It didn't try to import. It didn't do anything. Nothing came into my blank VW document. Yes, I did select all and Command-6. Trust me, nothing happened. I'm sure VW Arch 2016, which I use at work, will behave the same. What is the point of having a menu command that is empty? VW help suggests importing SU files as DWG/DXF, which, of course, is nonsense. SU files are grayed out when importing is set to DWG/DXF. I'm not sure I understand VW's reasoning here.

MHBrown

VW help suggests importing SU files as DWG/DXF, which, of course, is nonsense. SU files are grayed out when importing is set to DWG/DXF. I'm not sure I understand VW's reasoning here.

MHBrown

@MHBrown: I don't have 2013 installed so I can't see the help file section you're referring to, but I think what it might have been saying is to export a DWG/DXF file from SketchUp and then import that into Vw with the 'Import DWG / DXF File' command. It was not saying to import a .SKP file into Vw with the 'Import DWG/DXF' command.

I have not tried it in Vw2016, but SketchUp .SKP files import with textures just fine in Vw2015.