No two styles in same text block portion

In VectorWorks 8, you can select one line of a multiple line block of text, and apply two or more text styles to just this one line.

I.E. You could make the first line of a three line text block bold/Italic.

In VectorWorks 9.5.3 (running on Mac OS 10.2.2), you cannot do this. You can make a portion of a text block bold or italic, but not both.

Is this a bug, or just a limitation of OS X?

Is this corrected in VectorWorks 10?

Thanks,

PeterT

I cannot duplicate the problem you are experiencing.

You will need to go back up to the font style menu and select the bold after you have selected italic or vs. You cannot select both at the same time in the menu, but you can go back and select the other style option you desire.

Can you not make it bold, then go back to the style menu and select italic?

If not, what type of font are you using?

Katie,

First of all, I am talking about only a highlighted portion of a block of text, not the entire block.

If you select the entire block of text, you can make it Bold/Italic, or any other combination of styles.

But if you highlight just one word in a larger block of text, you can first choose bold, but then if you choose italic, it accepts the italic, but loses the bold.

If you then choose bold again, it accepts the bold, but loses the italic. You can then choose underline, and it accepts the underline, but loses the bold, etc.

I just tested this behavior in Palatino, Helvetica, and Geneva. It is the same for all of them. This is not font related.

Thanks,

Peter

Katie,

Just tried it on a new blank document with the same results. Choosing a second style undoes the first style.

I cannot do anything like this:

NOTE:

BLAH, BLAH,BLAH

I can only do this:

NOTE:

BLAH, BLAH,BLAH

or this:

NOTE:

BLAH, BLAH,BLAH

This is true for every machine in our office, on any file, with any font, all running VW 9.5.3 on OS 10.2.2

Tried it on 466 Mhz G4, 400 Mhz G4 and 266 Mhz G3.

Also checked it on VW 8.5.2 in classic mode. No problem there, multiple styles work fine.

Peter

Peter I see what you are talking about now.

Originally I tried this on a beta version of Jaguar. When I tried it with 10.2.2 and VW 9.5.3, it does as you say.

When I tried it with OS 10.2.2 and VW 10.0.1, it worked fine.

OS 9 works fine.

OS 10.2.beta works just fine.

Looks like it's one of those things changed in jaguar that is addressed by the next beta version, and or something VW fixed in vw 10.

Nah, I've had three different behaviors with each. I feel your pain, Peter. Like Alberta weather, I just wait a while and it changes after a while. I don't know about OS9, but OSX.1.x has the problem, mainly with VW9.5.2. I just installed X.2.x, so we'll see if it's gotten any better, esp. since I'm now using VW9.5.3.

Peter: third behavior is this: I can apply ONE formatting item to some text. Bold, italic, underline, but not bolded italic or underlined italic or bold underline, etc.

I just discovered an interesting work around.

If you apply multiple styles to the entire text block first, it accepts the styles, then you can select the portion of text you do not want styled and put it back to plain text.

The desired styles remain where you want them.

Very strange, you can't do it by applying styles, but you can do it by un-applying them.

Oh well, maybe by OS 11 and VectorWorks11 this developmental leapfrog will mellow out a bit.