Badly needing help importing Sketchup images!

Leah

Hi everyone,

I am very new to CAD software, Vectorworks is the first program I'm learning to use, and I'm struggling to import furniture and textiles etc.

I'm trying to import images from 3D Google Warehouse, though when I download them, they are not clickable in my list of options under File > Import > Import Sketchup. Is there another program I need to download to make these images visible?

I'm a mac user, just got the macbook recently so am only using whatever programs come with the computer.

I'm also using the student version of Vectorworks, if that makes a difference?

If anyone could help me it would be very much appreciated, am getting incredibly frustrated with this!

Thankyou so much!

Hi Leah, Can you put your VW version into signature / or sidebar.

Also Sketchup files are not images: they're comprised of edges and other objects much as any other CAD.

Also when you use the import dialog (assuming there is one), what settings do you see? - are there settings for SU version compatibility for instance, and what version is the SU component created in - this should be listed with the object in the Warehouse)

While I don't know your version, I do know that in VW2012 I can drag dwg files into my design area - what happens if your do this in with a skp file?

Edited by nig

First, you are choosing the right application. I've tried them all and decided VW is my weapon of choice -- so versatile!

Second, you download the stuffs from the warehouse into Sketchup first, give that SU file a name and then import that file directly into VW using import SU option. it should work, but what you'll get is shape w/o information i.e. symbol. You can even import buildings from Google Earth into VW that way. However, you'll have to material them afterward.