dotted line in 3D?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not that I am aware of, if you render in Dashed Hidden Line it will dash any occluded edges of 3D geometry, but it will not apply in Top/Plan and wont dash the whole object.

In order to get a 3D object to show a line style in top/plan, it normally needs to be made into a hybrid symbol (where you then add what you want it to look like in 2D into the 2D component) and even then, it will only show the line style in top/plan and not in 3D.

I've learned that it will show as a dotted line in viewports if assigned to a class with these settings. Still, in all other views it will remain as plain lines.

One of the bets things about VW is "what you see is what you get". But here it's all just confusing.

What is from the beginning the reason an object drawn with dotted lines in 2d is converted to plain line when extruded. If I had wanted it to be plain - that is what I would have chosen to start with.

Edited by bonus

On the other hand...

In top/plan the line styles should be kept as originally drawn. There are no renderings there, no textures will be shown etc. For that you will need to be in top view at least. Even fills vanish - very annoying. In fact, most commonly renderings are made without lines at all to be realistic, - so yes, they don't matter. But then, why not leave them as they are?

The line styles are of major importance in many cases and must be subject to a more userfriendly design.

The line styles in 3d-views should be set in the rendering options, not automatically by the application. ("as drawn" (longer rendering) / "all plain black" / "no lines")

This could be improved further...

Maybe I'm still just unaware of the benefits in the present design, but I think 2015 needs an improvement there.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It can't be done that way across the board because of the differences inherent in 2D and 3D views. For instance, more than half of the detail drawn on windows and doors in 2D is not represented at all in 3D, and vice versa. A lot of the time, this is the desired behavior, as you wouldn't show door hardware like handles and deadbolts in a normal plan drawing. They have to be kept separate.

There is an object called Auto Hybrid which is attempting to close this gap among a few other efforts, but we cant flat out mesh them together without causing many problems.