Wall Recess problems

My project will soon grind to a halt if I can't find an adequate solution to this:

I'm trying to create a bunch of grooves that run along all of my facades however when using the Wall Recess Command, the 3D looks really good but it plays havoc with my Top/Plan view. This is by far the fastest solution because if I have to do this with 3D geometry it will take a huge amount of time especially when I need to change things which I need to do frequently (both the grooves and doors and windows change regularly).........also it is a large project with many variations and many different facades.

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10628&filename=Result.png

I've attached a file with one of the offending walls including recesses please help and give me feed back if you find the problem or a solution (Jim?).

Edited by Vincent C

Excellent Dieter, that solved most of the problems! Now the grooves even go over the wall corners!

(For the less enlightened (like me), what Dieter means is:

1. create the 3D geometry that you want to remove from the wall (as you would when creating a Wall Recess).

2. Copy the 3D geometry to clipboard

3. place a 2D and 3D locus in the same spot and create a Hybrid Symbol (2D-3D symbol) with them

4. Edit the Hybrid Symbol and choose Edit 3D Wall Hole Component and paste the 3D geometry.

5. Place the symbol in the wall

6. Edit the 3D Wall Hole Component placement so that it ends up correctly in the wall.

Done)

The result on one facade:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10634&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202014-05-13%20kl.%2012.31.43.png

Edited by Vincent C
Nice facade, Vincent!

Thanks Wes, not done yet either :grin: (bit a of a new area for me, in Sweden doing classic architecture for new buildings is a bit of a no-no, but it's what my client really wants, doing it in precast concrete makes the challenge even greater that's the whole idea of the grooves! So far so good......)

Edited by Vincent C
You could use hybrid symbols instead. Having 2 2D loci will have nothing changed in the 2D wall presentation, and be cut in 3D, if you make the cutout long enough, you will not need a lot of symbols.

Works REALLY well Dieter thanks again, the symbols are actually much easier to edit than the wall recess objects, pity we can't 'see' other objects (as a reference) when editing the symbol though.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10661&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202014-05-17%20kl.%2015.38.30.png

Edited by Vincent C

Yes, it's looking good! I am learning here, and I am learning from you guys. . . . But why don't we use the simple method of subtract solid? Just put a working plane on the wall, create the geometries, choose both objects and subtract solid. I can get identical look with this simpler method.

You could use hybrid symbols instead. Having 2 2D loci will have nothing changed in the 2D wall presentation, and be cut in 3D, if you make the cutout long enough, you will not need a lot of symbols.

Works REALLY well Dieter thanks again, the symbols are actually much easier to edit than the wall recess objects, pity we can't 'see' other objects (as a reference) when editing the symbol though.

I never used the wall recess object as it's not complete. Always used the hybrid symbol approach. And you can actually 'see' other objects if you use 3D loci as a reference, though it's not the same.