Macbook Pro 13" (late 2013) i7 2.8 vs Macbook Pro 15" (late 2013) i7 2.0

I am in the process of buying a new Macbook pro. I am choosing between the Macbook Pro 13" (late 2013) i7 2.8 GHz (duo core) vs Macbook Pro 15" (late 2013) i7 2.0 Ghz (quad core).

I do very little rendering and simple renderings when I do. I mainly do 2D site and floor plans with file sizes between 15-40 mb. The duo core is 2.8 Ghz and the quad core is 2.0 Ghz. Both are i7 processors. Which would be better for me, the faster duo core or the slower quad core?

Currently: Macbook Pro 2010, i5 2.4 Ghz, 8 gb ram, 256 ssd

Vectorworks Architect 2014

My opinion is the 15" is better than the 13" with regards to working efficiently. I had a 13" and it was hard to use with so little screen real estate. I replaced it with a 15" and that is much better, but still not as efficient as my 27" iMac. As for speed, that's something Jim or others will have to answer, but it sounds like with the work you do either would be fine.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you aren't doing any heavy rendering then most likely you wouldn't notice a difference between the two CPUs.

If the graphics cards are dramatically different however your drafting experience may be as well. If one is an integrated Intel and the other a dedicated Nvidia or ATI card for instance, go for the dedicated graphics choice to help with future-proofing your machine. Laptop graphics cards can not be upgraded later on most laptops, but especially not Macs.

Also, I agree with Bruce above, I had a 13" MacBook and screen space was something I was seriously hurting for without an external monitor.

imo - it's a form of self cruelty to run VW on anything less than a proper monitor.

If you suffer back/neck pain, eye strain, headaches or almost any other affliction or want to avoid them a doctor recommended minimum 24" is imperative.