Design Layer Viewport visibleties in Viewports

I don't use designlayer viewports too often. I have come across a scenario where I have a sheet layer with a viewport and I want some classes in the designlayer viewport to be off in the viewport and on in other viewports on other sheet layers. How would I do this?

To this point my knowledge of how to adjust visibility would be to go to the design layer viewport and select the layers and classes I want visible. However this is more tricky in the given situation.

Anyone have any input?

Matt

Yeah I hit upon that yesterday too and there doesn't seem to be a solution, considering the fact that NVs has put their eggs in the 'VP referencing workflow basket' this seems to be an essential but missing functionality!

Just to be clear what we're talking about:

In my case I have a 5 story building where floors 2-4 are basically identical thus I have created a DLVP of floor 2 and put that on floors 3 and 4, when I now create an elevation or section SLVP the result is good however in my case there is a fasade detail (a wall component in its own special class) on floor 2 that is not present on floors 3 and 4, i would thus like to hide that detail in the DLVPs on floors 3 and 4, this works fine when in the Design Layer environment however when creating a SLVP of this it is not possible for the DLVPs to keep their own class visibilities separate from the SLVP class visibility and overrides....so my fasades are wrong....

Edited by Vincent C

Vincent, we struggled with this as well. We actually had a conference call with Wes to help with setting up the workflow for this and were told that we need to use Layer Referencing and not DLVP in order to facilitate the correct class/layer visibility that we needed. I think there are some major failings in the workflow and functionality of the VW tools when trying to complete large scale projects.

Matt, in your instance, there should be a check box on the class visibility palette from the DLVP OIP. The check box reads something like "use document class settings". If you check that, you should be able to control the class visibility of the DLVP in the SLVP.

Brilliant, Josh! I had no clue that this checkbox existed; it makes the idea of using referenced DLVPs much more feasible. I currently use the older layer import method because of the visibility issues outlined in this thread.

I just tested this checkbox and it seems to solve the problem. To make it function as I expected, it also required importing all the class definitions from the referenced file (by going to New Class and selecting the Import option). Then when working in Design Layers you can use the Navigation palette to control visibilities, and when in Sheet Layers each Viewport has its own class visibility settings.

Thanks!

-Andy

I don't use designlayer viewports too often. I have come across a scenario where I have a sheet layer with a viewport and I want some classes in the designlayer viewport to be off in the viewport and on in other viewports on other sheet layers. How would I do this?

I do this very thing quite a bit - both to allow me to tilt/rake design elements that have to be "level" in shop drawings and to allow me to move around referenced geometry (like venue drawings). A few things to consider:

1) I rely on the "Layer import" method of referencing and the "Use current document's class visibilities" toggle others have mentioned to give me as much flexibility with the referenced geometry as possible - including Saved Views and SLVPs. (1 reference and 1 DLVP for chair layouts, overall production drawings, rigging plots, light plots, etc. - not to mention the plethora of working/process Saved Views).

2) This lets you have, for example - on the same plate - a 2D light plot or rigging plot and a 3D raked perspective of the intended end result. (A HUGE deal, sometimes, for the technicians building a rig to know how things will actually hang - something that frequently is impossible to communicate in a legible plot.)

3) On Sheet Layers, regardless of the Class settings of the SLVP, I often have to use Sheet Layer Class settings to control Class visibilities of referenced Classes contained in DLVPs contained in SLVPs.

4) In 99.99% of my models, downstage center (or, if in-the-round, center stage) is located at the drawing origin. I use DLVPs to move the venue around the stage (opposite of reality), allowing things like light plot and scenic drawing SLVPs to avoid needing constant adjusting as things shift around during the life of a project.

Hopefully, some food for thought...

Yeah I hit upon that yesterday too and there doesn't seem to be a solution, considering the fact that NVs has put their eggs in the 'VP referencing workflow basket' this seems to be an essential but missing functionality!

Correction my bad, I did get it to work, just got to get the settings right i 2 places:

First of all uncheck this box in the DLVP class settings dialog,

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10626&filename=DLVP%20classes.png

Then check this box in the SLVP class settings dialog:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10627&filename=SLVP%20classes.png

The result:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10628&filename=Result.png

Edited by Vincent C
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response, but I just wanted to say thanks. That was really what I was looking for that there was a way to actually achieve that.

I think overall I still prefer layer referencing, but there is a way to get to a middle ground.

Matt