slab modelling

hi,

another question:

what is the best way to model such a concrete slab as on the attachment picture (the slab is displayed in grey)?

i have tried with the extrudes (modelled in the side view in the first place), but i can't figure out a way to have the concrete mass in the material take-off.

the extrudes don't carry this information.

other flat roof components i can easily insert on top of this slab, this base shape is the only challenge for me.

thanks in advance,

rob

You can't

Slabs are hybrid objects and always flat & horizontal

There is a lot of discussion that they need to be expanded to handle slopes as in the real world.

For now you have only the option I see is to model it directly in 3d (you can convert to an auto hybrid or hybrid symbol to get a suitable top/plan view)

or use Roof Faces

or use the Framing Member Tool and a either Custom Profile for each of the roof slopes or simply a wide beam:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10602&filename=Framing%20Member%20as%20Conc%20Roof%20Slab.png

thanks, brian.

the roof face option looks nice, i'll have to look at it. you can cut holes in it and it'd still be a roof face.

actually the further goal would be to enable the reinforcement rods insertion in the structural model (the consultant's part) and the ifc proper entity setting to generate a material take-off.

i don't have my dongle here to check it, can the enclosed vwx be opened in v2012, too?

thx,

rob

Glad to help, I feel we're on the cusp of VW solving the sloped hybrid objects problem, which will resolve many of of these issues,

sloped walls, slabs, hardscapes, etc

and the inclusion of roof components in roof faces will bring uniformity & flexibility to the package.

or - maybe they should be abandoned entirely in favor of a single powerful Surfaces tool that incorporates and expands on all the goodness of the 8 or more surfaces tools we currently have.

Here's the file v2012.

• Like 1

i've examined the file and there are some shortcomings.

the shape isn't editable, and there's no possibility to cut holes in it.

i've converted my shape (generated as an extrude) to a mesh, and the situation is the same. not a chance to cut, say, a roof entry out of the slab.

leaving it as an extrude (a pretty easy action) i don't see any chance to convert it to an intelligent shape (e.g. material thickness added) but the cut-outs are possible, although not as an edition (like for any slab), but as a solid subtraction.

in this way the whole object becomes of a solid subtraction type.

in the ifc generated file the cut-out hole hasn't got any dimension (no perimeter and no area), but the whole slab (type: concrete) dimensions and volume are being properly calculated. the material (concrete) has a thickness 'zero', although the whole 'slab' is 22 cm thick.

i think i'll have to leave it as it's currently is: as a solid subtraction. i don't see any other possibility.

or am i missing something?

rob

as it turns out, my trouble with roof faces is practically the same as with extrudes: i can't assign materials to the slab. and i need them for the materials take-off.

is there a way to assign, say, material concrete (the same as in the wall or slab components) to a modelled 3d shape (such as extrude, roof face, hardscape or any other solid)?

i presume, only in this way i can complete the materials summary. am i right?

i'm amazed how i missed this until now?

thanks in advance,

rob

You have to create a Class in the Navigation Pallet; edit that class and put a tick mark on Use at Creation, Fill Solid, Pen Solid; At the bottom of Edit Classes Dialog Box click Other and put a tick mark on Use Texture at Creation and Texture and select your texture you just created. Create your slab and assign it with the New Class; Render it and you will see as I did in this image.

thanks, sonny.

i was aware of the direction, but the error in reasoning was on my side.

i generally use all composed elements' assignment to the overall classes. i.e. all external walls are in the class 'wall-external', and their components are in the various subclasses, like 'wall-concrete', 'wall-insulation' a.s.o.

here i must treat the whole shape as a component. the result is: i must create the particularly shaped slabs as a mix of component elements, placed in appropriate classes.

thanks again for the correction in my thinking.

rob