a roof and a wall questions

hi,

i've got two questions:

1. the roof.

is there a possibility to model a roof with two slopes, which is a hip roof (not gable !) ? i enclose a section scheme.

2. the wall.

why the walls don't cut out the upper slab layers in a section generated from the model ? those slab layers have an edge offset auto-bound setting of 'inner face of wall core', and the walls have the cores defined. in spite of this, the wall core doesn't cut the slab.

have i done anything wrong ?

thanks,

rob

To me, it looks like you have chosen the brick veneer line to reference you slab, thus your slab extends all the way to that veneer line. You need to reference that inner core line for your slab to be bound within that boundary then your wall well go straight up its full height. I don't think the wall will clip out the slab automatically. :)

@sonny

the slab goes to the outer face of wall core (in order to be covered by the outer insulation). the wall is supposed to stand on the reinforced concrete part of the slab (the bottom 22 cm), and not to go straight up to the slab height (which is 36 cm).

in archicad you can do this by boolean cut outs.

i'm just experimenting with the slab settings, but neither of the slab components' options seem to work:

slab preferences -> component selected -> edit (slab component attributes) -> edge offset (auto-bound).

there are 7 options there, including inner and outer faces of wall, wall core and wall component. in the section viewport there is no physical difference between the choices.

update:

the manual entry for slab components (setting the negative offset values for the core thickness) WORKED ! (the screenshot enclosed)

the solution is but only for the outer walls, i don't know how to influence the inner walls.

and the manual entry for this particular slab components doesn't work for outer walls with different thickness.

any thoughts?

rob

Guest Wes Gardner

@ Rob,

Can you post up a piece of your project? It might be something as simple as some settings in the "Advanced Properties" of the viewport...as I understand what you're doing, it should be working...

Wes

i could eventually cut out the walls footprints while editing slab (cutting only particular components of the slab), but it's not intuitive and each wall translation will have to be reflected in new slab edition.

is there any other workaround?

rob

yeah, it makes sense. i have to do it for the last slab, which is bent in 3d.

btw, how do you mean 'bind them'?

i thought the construction slab is extending to the wall cores outer face (i can manage it manually, like in the 3rd shot from my post #197875), and the finish slab is being modelled when the walls are already set (like in real life), within the rooms, right?

and yes, the troubles remain with the door areas.

or do you mean the finish slab everywhere, not cut in pieces of each room size?

thanks for input.

rob

yeah, it makes sense. i have to do it for the last slab, which is bent in 3d.

btw, how do you mean 'bind them'?

i thought the construction slab is extending to the wall cores outer face (i can manage it manually, like in the 3rd shot from my post #197875), and the finish slab is being modelled when the walls are already set (like in real life), within the rooms, right?

and yes, the troubles remain with the door areas.

or do you mean the finish slab everywhere, not cut in pieces of each room size?

thanks for input.

rob

You can bind slabs to walls. You bind your structural slab to the outer walls, and your finish slabs to the walls surrounding them. If you set the components correctly, the slabs will follow the walls and cut them out at the correct places. You will need to add pieces where there are doors, or cut out at stairs, but it's the way to go.

@dieter

i still don't get it. you bind them manually or using the components settings?

rob

When you select a slab, you will see of the slab perimeter is manually done or created by the walls it is bounded to. If you click on this, you can choose to bound to walls. I have a Dutch version, so it can be that my translations are wrong. Sorry for this.

When you then set the components of the slab correctly (the setting to where it must go relative to the bounded walls), then they will cut out the wall.

If it is not yet clear, I can make a picture of it. Just let me know.

dieter,

ok, so it's the floor plan bounding. i can do this while creating a slab (bounding to the walls automatically or via manual polyline shape).

there's but no way to change the manual bounding to the 'pick boundary' when the slab is already created, if that's what you mean. the selection returns to 'manual', when clicked.

i can't thus see the components in the object info, the button is greyed-out (the one under the selection to the right on the pic).

is this the right interpretation of what you've posted?

update:

ok, the slab was determined earlier, so the components are available from the settings of this particular slab, for all its appearances in the project.

i can set the bounding here (auto-bound to the wall or core faces - outer or inner), but it doesn't work the way i want them (see my previous posts).

rob

Edited by gester
there's but no way to change the manual bounding to the 'pick boundary' when the slab is already created, if that's what you mean. the selection returns to 'manual', when clicked.

yes you can. Select 'pick boundary' and immediately after that, start selecting the walls. You can't do anything in between, or it will not work.

Here's a picture of what I mean. If you need more details, just ask, or post a file with what's not working. I know this can be hard to grasp at first. Sorry if my explanations are not always that good.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10654&filename=untitled.png

Edited by Dieter @ DWorks