Image Prop vs Plant object

I am trying to create some trees from the Xfrog libraries and save them as plant objects.

The textures are all saved with the "glow" qualifier selected which makes them look pretty naff so I turned this off and then added various lights to make the scene look more realistic.

I them noticed that the 3D element of the trees was casting a strange shadow over itself due to it being an Image prop saved with crossed planes.

I proved this by setting up another image prop that did not have this option checked and you can see the results below.

When I went back to the plant object, selected the 3D part and unselected the cross planes option it made no difference, the tree still used crossed planes.

I have tried creating new plant objects, replacing old plant objects and every other combination I can think of but the plant object remains doggedly crossed planes which patently doesn't work.

Do I have to create a 2D/3D object that is NOT a plant to achieve this and do away with all the niceties of the plant database or am I missing something?

Matt

Edit : I cannot add any files! for some reason it just routes you to a random web page. Any ideas?

Edited by Mattheng

Ok trying again..

Hmmm seems to be a bug with Mavericks as far as adding files. Did this on a different computer and it works with Lion.

Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, the crossed planes plant object is on the right and the non crossed planes plain image prop is on the left.

Edited by Mattheng

Ok, have just created a 2D/3D object with the components of the plant object.

The good news is that is can be non crossed planes

The bad news is it can't continue to Auto rotate.

Aaaaaargh..!

Do I need to store the 2D and 3D components as a group??