Stake Object acting as Site Modifier AND as an annotation on site plan?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I was wondering if there was a way to use a Stake object to modify a site model AND have those same Stake objects appear on my site plan (basically as 2D graphics set to the elevation of the site model)?

If not, what is the best practice for showing those elevation readings from the actual site model on my site plan? Must I duplicate all of my Stake objects and set those duplicates to "Use 2D Graphic only" in the OIP to get them to appear? That seems prone to errors to me, as I will likely have to fine tune the site model more in the future, so I'm hoping there is a better way.

Thanks in advance!

-Neil

Hi Neil

Stake Objects are hybrid, so they have a 2D display and a 3D element. Click Stake Tool Preferences on the tool bar. Change the mode of the stake to Site Modifier, and set it to change the Proposed model. Choose also what you would like displayed in the Label. Click OK, then place your stakes. Use the Z value to set the desired elevation. In Top/Plan, this is what you'll see displayed by the Stake. No need to duplicate them.

Hope that helps.

That's how I was expecting it to work... but it wasn't, at least in the viewport that was my Site Plan.

After some investigation though, and knowing from your description that it *should* work, I realized that the viewport's OIP setting "Project Screen Objects" was switched off. Switching that back on revealed the spot elevations.

Thank you Tamsin!

-Neil

You're welcome?I'm glad you got it sorted. But you should not need to to Project Screen Objects if the Viewport is set to Top/Plan... Is it possible your Viewport was in a Top view instead of a Top/Plan view? Top view is a 3D view from the top, and therefore would not display the 2D part of the stake. If you change it to Top/Plan, you should see the 2D part of the stakes and also the 2D settings that you have chosen for your Site Model.

The site plan's VP is definitely set to Top/Plan in the OIP, and was made which I was in Top/Plan view. If it makes a difference, in the OIP the "Projection" is also set to "2D Plan".

I've tried again, and unchecking "Project Screen Objects" definitely makes those spot elevations vanish, though I know what you mean and they certainly should stay put.

I've also noticed that unchecking "Project Screen Objects" makes the smoothed, curving contour lines of the proposed site model become straight lines, in case that indicates anything.

Another odd thing is that the stakes I have made (as Site Modifier Objects) are set to appear with a cross, but are only showing with 1 of the 2 lines of the cross, so essentially just a single line. However, if I set the stake to be any of the other 3 modes available ("Include as site model data", "Set elev to site model", "2D graphic only") the cross appear correctly with both of its lines.

-Neil

Hmm... The other line of the cross IS appearing when I turn on the "Site-DTM- Modifier" class, but then my Pads and Grade Limits modifiers are also showing. I'll have to find a way around this...