Interactive Fillet

Andy Broomell

Question

When using the fillet tool, I've often found myself wanting to create a fillet based on visual aesthetics rather than by a known, measured amount. Currently we have to type a distance into the Mode Bar then select the two lines. It would be wonderful if we also had the option to select the two lines first then drag the cursor to visually define the amount. It would be similar to the second Mode (Offset by Point) of the Offset tool.

Edited by Andy Broomell

10 answers to this question

Bump.

Crossing my fingers for implementation in 2018. This would be a great example of making a simple yet essential improvement to an existing tool that people use every day. It would save lots of time and headache.

Here's a quick example of how this would be useful. Below, I'm tracing the simple shape of this gooseneck light arm. After drawing the three straight lines, I need to connect them using the fillet tool. Ideally I could just click two of the lines then drag the mouse to interactively set the size of the fillet. However, it only works by typing in the fillet radius ahead of time, but I have no clue what that number is. So I first grab the arc tool and draw an arc approximating the curve (the problem being that it's impossible to get the arc perfectly tangent to both lines). This allows me to see the radius in the Arc's OIP. Then I delete the arc, go back to the fillet tool, type in that radius, and finally create my actual curve. This should be a much simpler process.

5908b00c21e7c_ScreenShot2017-05-02at9_05_59AM.png.9b4517ce797e1882ab988a00f9e0ac65.png

• Like 1
On 5/8/2014 at 6:22 AM, JimW said:

I put in for a visual editing mode for Chamfer as well, since they work similarly and share some of the same UI problems.

Agreed! And Jim, while you're submitting a request for Chamfer, can you integrate a dual dimension capability. The current 3d mode only allows for a symmetrical chamfer, but it would be awesome if you could do something more like the 2d chamfer and specify two different distances along each face.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
20 hours ago, ericjhberg said:

Agreed! And Jim, while you're submitting a request for Chamfer, can you integrate a dual dimension capability. The current 3d mode only allows for a symmetrical chamfer, but it would be awesome if you could do something more like the 2d chamfer and specify two different distances along each face.

I suggest this as a new wish item, this was filed in 2014.