Weird wall end caps elevation

ramooo

Well yes, it is only in wireframe but still very annoying because when I select a wall in a 3D view I get three objects selected instead of one (see the images). Although they only show up as phantoms I can easilly erase them by mistake.

They are only 20 Mts away from the origin.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Usually if it is a wireframe selection glitch like that, moving it into a new document just resets the highlighting. If it was a layer configuration problem, it would have been more than just the highlighting.

Copying into a new doc is a good way to get away from possible corrupted or stuck objects, you can use this as a more automated way of regenerating files that are experiencing problems:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

But sheet layers will need to be recreated.

Well guys, thanks for the answers. I have tried the import layers option without any luck. The problem was imported as well. Aparently only the copy paste procedure works.

Any idea about why this happened? is it a bug? I would like to know what not to do.

I haven't seen this for a couple years. I thought it was gone. Back then I suspected it was a distance from origin issue.

Jim - not to change the subject, but I've always wondered this: if ramooo was to take his original file with the bad wall caps and export it as VS and then take his new file with the pasted and good wall caps and export that file as VS, would running a diff reveal the problem?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Jim - not to change the subject, but I've always wondered this: if ramooo was to take his original file with the bad wall caps and export it as VS and then take his new file with the pasted and good wall caps and export that file as VS, would running a diff reveal the problem?

I do not know enough about VS personally to answer that for sure.

It can indeed be a distance from origin issue, but I have also seen it when files are converted between multiple versions. (In addition to happening for no discernible reason at all)

Ramooo: Please send that file to the address in my signature and I can have a closer look.

Edited by JimW
  • 2 weeks later...

I do not know enough about VS personally to answer that for sure.

It can indeed be a distance from origin issue, but I have also seen it when files are converted between multiple versions. (In addition to happening for no discernible reason at all)

I just tried it on a file that was misbehaving. I did a layer import from the bad file to a blank file and it cleared up the problem.

The exported VS files did show a bunch of differences. My VS skills aren't good enough to know what all the changes mean, but there are a bunch of setObjectVariableBoolean parameters that are different, among other things.

mk

Edited by michaelk
  • 7 months later...

Hello Guys

Its been a while since I have been suffering this issue and until now I realize that each end cap wall has it own properties apart from the ones of the wall itself. Well at least now I know that I can fix it by changing the height of each end cap (although it is boring process).

This problem not only happens if I move the z position of a wall but also if I change the height of an entire layer. It seems like the walls move but the end caps remains in place.

I would like to understand why the end caps have a separated height preference from its wall? or why they have separated properties at all?. Does any one know its utility ?

I guess the issue is a bug. Does anyone know if it has been

solved on 2015?

ramooo - Do those wall caps move, but leave a phantom selection outline in the original location? I have seen some v2015 objects behave similarly. No experience with wall caps, though. The object moves but leaves a selection outline in the source location. Not sure of cause. Seems to be related to changing layer or story heights.

Usually I can fix by Group then Ungroup the selection. Or shift selection to and from another layer. Or Cut then Paste in Place (dangerous!). The vectors need to be redefined in some way, then returned to orig status. The phantom selection outlines reassociate with their objects in the new location.

I will try to find a predictable example. Best of luck with your end caps.

-B