The Consequences of Push Pull

The push pull tool has turned out to be more useful than I originally thought. New hires seem to pick up 3D modeling faster, and changes and adjustments re much quicker.

There is one problem - because it is so easy to use - it gets used alot - a little adjustment here - a little adjustment there. The problem because that those solids because impossible to edit because they are now composed of 3000 additions and subtractions. It would be great if there was some way that the push-pull tool did not count as a solid addition, but was translated to the original solid in a more base way.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Do you think this could be resolved by a preference setting for the tool, controlling what/how complex the resulting object was? something like:

Create Solid Additions/Subtractions

Create Solid Additions/Subtractions - (Limit history to X containers)

Create Generic Solids

?

I just talked to the staff, and they said that this would be great - if you could set one of these preferences, or toggle between them.

To me - the best would be if the push pull fundamentally changed the extrude - if possible. So if you have an extruded polygon - and you perform a push pull on that object the tool will either change the extrude value if you pull or push the top or bottom face - or modify the controlling extruded polygon if you push or pull one of the side faces.

Obviously, this would not work in all cases - and not work with generic or complex solids, but it would be great if when push / pulling an extrude - this was the first prefered method of modification.

I want that so badly as well. There is a kind of editing called Poly Edit in 3DS Max and a few other 3d modeling applications that allow this, essentially you can create/control the number and orientation of polygons that make up a 3D solid, then edit those directly.

This explains the basics pretty well:

Currently in Vectorworks, there is no way to increase or decrease the polygons that make up a surface manually. This is done automatically in a few cases, like when mesh objects are imported or 3D solids are converted to 3D polygons, but they aren't as editable as shown in the video above.

I am not sure whether trying to improve the "history" system for container objects like Solid Subtractions and Solid Additions would be a better idea, or to introduce a completely new system like the one detailed above.

Or of course, that time-honored tradition of: "DO BOTH!"

In any case, I will add a note about this thread in the 3D Poly Edit request.

I want that!

It felt with the introduction of the twist tool - that the new modeling engine would start to allow for more of this type of editing.

Its tough because VW is being pulled in two directions. Becoming a better free modeler and renderer is not always perfectly in line with become a more powerful BIM and PM tool.

Thanks for the quick responses.

It felt with the introduction of the twist tool - that the new modeling engine would start to allow for more of this type of editing.

That is the impression I am getting as well. I am of course, impatient, but its headed that way.

You are very welcome.