Unwanted hidden elements showing in design layers

Long time since I posted on here.

My client has recently moved to VW2014 from VW12. I am still using VW2011 and thats not going to change. Up until now, I have had some situations where I have imported my clients work and I have had ghost elements but I have normally been able to work out what the ghost elements are or not. These ghost elements are as a result of my client (in the politest possible way of saying) doodling on the drawing so they end up stacked and hidden below the main drawing elements.

Unfortunately and probably nothing to do with my client moving to V2014, I have got a drawing where identifying these ghost elements is a bit more error prone than before. Which, going forward, could be a problem.

I import my clients exported (from 2014 to 2011) drawing into my VW2011 with a referenced design layer viewport on to a design layer called import. As you can hopefully see from the images, when viewing this import layer (imported.png), the contents are as my client envisaged it. However, when I view the import layer (layers.png) as part of any other design layer or sheet, the ghost elements, such as concentric circles become visible. Its almost as if they become stacked in reverse order or I am losing object fill - the original referenced file all objects are solid white fill.

If I open the original referenced file, the ghost elements do not show but can be highlighted with object selection.

Is there anything obvious that I am overlooking that I can change to prevent this? Versions of VW are not going to change nor is my clients workflow so hopefully there is a setting that I am missing.

Before anyone asks, all my clients doodles etc are in the same class/layer and my class visibility is normally show/snap/modify others and layer visibilities are grey/snap others and it makes no difference if I change these.

Hoping that it can be explained by a senior moment...

Thanks in advance

Ian

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10534&filename=imported.png [img:right]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10535&filename=layers.png[/img]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Send me that file at the address in my signature and I can have a look.

The stacking of objects and/or hidden and trimmed vertices shouldn't normally change just because it is in a viewport.

I'll test it both natively in 2014 and after the export to the older formats to see where its occurring.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I was unable to even come up with a useful workaround, the closest I got was converting the viewport to lines and removing the extraneous geometry, which is not really very useful and would have to be done manually each time.

The last hope is that this MAY be a problem with the export to versions older than 2012 from Vectorworks 2014, in which case it may be something that will be patched. But if the issue resides in Vectorworks 2011, it is unlikely that anything can be done about it.