Title Block blank when Exporting to PDF?

I am exporting a Sheet Layer to PDF; and with this file, the Title Block information is blank/empty. (???)

I can edit Title Block from the Resource Browser, and the type is all in the 'NONE' class -- the class is visible. I can see it on the screen--then the exported type is missing.

I have [x} the Rasterize Text. It is a font that I purchased--and earlier today on different files, the font exports to the PDF.

Is there something that I am missing? (I'm sure it's operator error...)

I used a file from a previous job that I "Save A New Copy" (a new design for a theatre that I work in frequently) then I deleted the old-show information.

All other information appears to be exporting--just not the Title Block.

Ideas?

The Title Block is there. It's the TYPE that's not showing. (sorry for my unclear information)

The title block consists of two images (my logo & client logo) Both are exporting. All lines are exporting. Just the font: "Flex Architect". But that seems to be restricted to JUST this copy of the file. Other files and projects export just fine.

???

I've rebooted twice, just in case........

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If it is a specific font having the problem, that can and does happen on occasion. Sometimes its every file, sometimes its only files with patterns or hatches, there doesn't seem to be a clear reason in all cases when a particular font is acting up.

If Rasterize Text corrects the issue, then its best to export with that option enabled if you want to keep the font. If Rasterize Text doesn't correct it, or the text needs to be selectable in the exported PDF, then another font should be used instead.

Preston,

You almost certainly have a corrupt type object in your file. It will cause a certain font to disappear when exporting to PDF. I have had this happen a lot.

Does your file have multiple sheets? I usually work on a copy of my file and use trial and error, deleting half the sheets and PDFing again to see if it works. I've most often seen type objects become corrupted in annotations, sometime in radial dimensions and once in a title block which was the most difficult to find.

I think its unlikely to be the font itself.

in the Title Block--there are some fields that don't have information when in the 'edit symbol' screen. I will see an outlined yellow box, but if I change the font, it doesn't change the font on the sheet-layer. The field will also, many times, disappear/delete. (???) What else am I doing wrong here?

Remember that font attributes can be defined by different things in a custom title block. I don't remember the specifics but it can have to do with pen and fill attributes. Look in the help for custom title blocks.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

My apologies, I forgot the main point of trying the layer import:

If you DO perform a layer import and bring everything into a new document and the problem stops occurring, this will normally indicate that the problem is in fact, a corrupt object and it can be hunted down as described and removed.

Layer Import can basically be used as a way of determining whether the problem is a corrupt object as opposed to a corrupt document overall.

If it DOES work as expected in the layer imported document, but deleting objects and trying to hunt down the corrupt object in the original file DOESN'T work, then you would need to recreate the sheet layer in the new file and go from there, but that's not commonly required.

(Sorry, been a long day.)

It's definitely the font and it behaves very peculiarly. It may have something to do with the number of characters in the titleblock although as you say it's not consistently repeatable.

I wonder if VW has a transient memory allocation limit that gets bumped up against when exporting a 'complex' font as this to pdf and when it's reached the operation just shuts down.

I've seen cases where even an Arial installation can cause VW to misbehave. It would be very good to get to the bottom of this font issue once and for all.