How to drape objects over the surface of a site model?

fich

Hi

I'm a newbie so most likely I have just not found the right tutorial ?

In 2D I have foot paths, areas of meadows and other areas of lawn (all closed polygons). How could I drape them on the existing surface of the site model (which is, of course, not flat). They should not modify the site model.

fich

Edited by fich

Thanks Benson,

The trick is the 2d polygon, any other object is not doing the drape. They are just moved on the z-axis without changing their appearance according to the site model.

In wire frame I can see the drape over the site model (mash solid)

Unfortunately non of the render options produce something that looks like a draped object (or a foot path over a hill)

Did I miss anything?

Some 2d polys make a sort of trough when sent to surface, with a ground plane object and two faces extending from the ground up to the dtm. The area between the top edges is not a surface. Another way is to draw the edges of the path as 2 polylines, send to surface (they become 3d polys), Convert to NURBS, and loft between them. Or, if the pathway starts as a closed poly sent to surface, reduce the shape to 2 NURBS curves and loft a new surface between them. Either extract those edges & Convert to NURBS, or cut the "trough" at the corners.

As Ray says, it may be necessary to move the new surface upwards a bit to see it in renders.

Look up Texture Beds. They eliminate some of the problems of areas which end up slightly under the dtm.

hth

-B