Views Remodel Sheet

Tiago

HI there.

I am doing a renovation in a house and i am doing the project in Vectorworks 2010 ( it as started in 2008).

I am doing int in 3d and using the Layer colors to define the demolition plan, the existing and the new. When i create the viewports in the sheet layers the plan accepts the colors in the layers but when i do the views and the sections they don't show the colors no matter what kind of render i do.

(the metod used by me is similar to the one used here http://www.novedge.com/webinar/102 )

ErYAwO_0Ea09OTDHe9UqGprMcUrol0uWjNBcpOGw4wQ

2.jpg?n=20633377

Any idea or other method to do renovation draws in vectorworks 2010 3d???

i'm used to the 2d features - i learned with vectorworks 11 - but i want to evolve ( as all of us) and start using the 3d bim features

Thanks in advance for the help

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

By default, yes the viewports should show the same class colors. You can even override them individual per-viewport afterwards if you like.

Note: If you created the viewports first and made new classes to place the various walls in though, you'll have to edit those viewports to enable the visibility of any classes that didn't exist before the viewports were created initially.

sorry to be asking this but... is there any tutorial about the class override on 3d walls?

I know that Jonathan have some in is site but i can't afford them right now, so anyone could give me an example of a remodel project and how to use the classes in 3d ( mostly views and sections)....

I know that is asking to much but still...

I was trying to use a composed wall, made by me but for some reason i cant make her appear with the classes in the design layer - it appears right in the viewport - and it doesn't appears right in the section too...

The wall has a class - in is composition - that is the proposed one so it should appear red, the class is on and it appear right in the viewport but in the design layer and section not...

image1

image 2

image3

Edited by Tiago
Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Tiago,

Perhaps this will help...run through the Saved views to see how the wall responds.

The "Fat Line/Thin Line" classes can be ignored, I was just testing some stuff...they really only work when in top/plan view otherwise they mess up the rendering of the exterior texture(s) but take a look at the container class "Wall-Exterior", with this ON and the component classes off, the wall takes on a solid color.

Make sure you also look into how the wall style was created and the fact that everything is set to "Use Class Attributes" and that all components are classed separately.

By setting up the wall this way, you can have the wall look differently in any viewport by using the class over rides of the viewport - just make the viewport active, then edit the class structure of the viewport to get the wall to appear how you want.

Hope this helps

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner
Hi Tiago,

Perhaps this will help...run through the Saved views to see how the wall responds.

The "Fat Line/Thin Line" classes can be ignored, I was just testing some stuff...they really only work when in top/plan view otherwise they mess up the rendering of the exterior texture(s) but take a look at the container class "Wall-Exterior", with this ON and the component classes off, the wall takes on a solid color.

Make sure you also look into how the wall style was created and the fact that everything is set to "Use Class Attributes" and that all components are classed separately.

By setting up the wall this way, you can have the wall look differently in any viewport by using the class over rides of the viewport - just make the viewport active, then edit the class structure of the viewport to get the wall to appear how you want.

Hope this helps

Wes

Wes Thanks for the help but for some reason i was unable to open your file, i am using VW 2010. Should i try using the VW visualizer ?

i think i solved the problem...

Sorry to do so many questions but would it be better to start with the wall as finished, and then in the viewports do the overrides or start them as they should be ( demolition and proposed components) and then override them to black as finished?

You would be much better off if you used classes to control the demolition, the existing, and the new. Classes would be more flexible and more powerful than using layers.

I don't know if Jonathan minds but i found a video (made by him in novedge) that explains the use of classes to control the demolition and proposed plan... here it is Novedge Webinar #39: Introduction to BIM with Vectorworks Architect

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno if this topic is still active and viable but here i go

( i know that i shouldn't ask for this but i am having a hard time configuring and making it work properly)

Can someone send me a file or and example of a work of a house remodeling? ( i am working in 2010)

I need to see something working or i wont be able to surpass this job in time.

I was finally able to put the colors in place but right now the sections representations and son on are not staying as they should... they show to far behind the wall as an xray and so on... and some parts of the construction wall is still not working accordingly... that's why i am asking for a working example for me to inspect ( if possible) dunno if it is to much to ask..

Sorry to keep this up guys but unless i find a solution i will have to re start the works i have in 2d to be able to fulfill the time limits... (no excuse i know but i really would like to improve) thanks in advance for the help