Solid Filled Dimension Hides Dim Line, Witness Line, Marker

PeterT

Question

I would like to see a change in the way the dimension object container stacking order is set.

Currently the dimension text is the topmost item in the container such that when you turn on solid fill of the text to make it readable over a busy background it obscures the dimension string, the witness line and part of the marker if you have a very short dimension (like 6") or if your dimension standard has the text very close to the dimension line. In this case, the white box of the text fill can block the lines and marker objects

If the dimension text was behind the lines and marker in the container object stacking order this would not happen. The filled text would still block objects in the background, but would not block parts of the dimension itself.

3 answers to this question

Well sure, we always do have it set to create text without fill.

The issue was, when you want to turn fill on so you can read the dimension over the background, such as a dimension in the middle of an area of brick hatching.

Also, often when I go to grab a dimension line to pull the dimension away from an object, unless I zoom way in, I end up just pulling the text away from the dimension line because the text is stacked on top of the dimension line so your cursor grabs the text instead of the line.

If I zoom in to 1000% I can grab the line without changing the text offset, but I get tired of zooming in and out just to move a dimension line.