a new interface is urgent

1.- integrate attributes on info pallet with tabs

2.- fast buttons for AUTO JOIN WALLS for example

3.- multiple window view

4.- a totally black interface with black palletes is better for eyes

5.- and easy to find resources pallete

13 answers to this question

a new interface is urgent

I would not say a new one is needed, only an enhanced one.

1.- integrate attributes on info pallet with tabs

I don't prefer tabs, but a good option would be that we can have those as separate palettes and docked where we want, either next to each other, or tabbed.

2.- fast buttons for AUTO JOIN WALLS for example

I don't understand this one...?

3.- multiple window view

Totally agree with this one. It would be very nice to work on one view, and see your changes in other views automatically, like the elevations for example. Even if we can't work in them, just a view of those would be great!

4.- a totally black interface with black palletes is better for eyes

This isn't true! This is one of these discussions that will never stop and are all around the net. It's not that it's better for the eyes, it's just a personal preference. So the option to have either a dark or light interface would be better. Some sort of enhancement for the feature we already have to turn the background black?

5.- and easy to find resources pallete

This one has been asked a long time, and from what I could understand, will be in the next version. It just needs to be way better to edit, find, manage resources.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

All of these feature requests look like they have been submitted other than "2.- fast buttons for AUTO JOIN WALLS", could you be more specific on what functionality you would like to see?

I'm a big proponent of not only dockable palettes (on OS X), but palettes that can be docking within, generating tabs along the top for quicker access.

Same with the "dark" theme or customizable colors for the entire UI, its mostly personal preference but it makes a major difference in user comfort.

Edited by JimW

New interface is anything but urgent, however, could do with a clean up.

1-Not a big fan of Tabs, but Dockable Palettes would help, but right now, i'd just be happy to be able to resize them ALL, not just some. Especially the smaller ones.

2- No comment.

3-i like multiple screens, so, if extra views could be placed on another screen, toggling the main screen still using the Number Pad would work . . . .

4-Maybe, but there are so many "Spanners In The Works" that need sorting that this can wait . . . . . Fix the foundations first.

5-With this is one, Tabs might just work. Quick access to 3rd party Symbols then back to the current files RB Symbols Tab.

i'd still prefer that everything that we already have just worked smoothly, before dedicating the the team to inventing newer ways to eat a slice of jam on toast.

Hi,

I spoke to Sean, Biplab and Stewart about this topic when they were down in Sydney earlier in the year. Once again, I thought it would be good to request this to both ends of NV., and further clarify my thoughts.

I have probably said this somewhere else on the Techboard, but I think a similar relationship should be made to what Apple has done with Final Cut Pro. Vw is similar in many ways to FCP. It is the cheaper cousin to its BIM rivals. It is generally friendlier for first timers. And for the money, gives a huge bang for buck.

But NV needs to radically update the interface, and the underlying technology, to where the industry is headed. At what point does NV send more time trying to re-write old code than what could be done to move the whole platform to a fresh code base. Allow the old version to be sold (not making the same mistake Apple made with FCP) and updates issued for latest OS releases for a few years after the new version is released. When users are skilled up, and the new Vw achieves a beyond parity feature set, then have everyone migrate over. If the new version is good, people will want to move.

The key thing to remember, this space is going to be disrupted. With what is happening with the likes of; Autodesk's mobile apps; Sketchup and Rhino from below; and ArchiCAD and Microstation from above, it only makes me more certain of this. New doesn't always mean better, but since the release of the iPhone, interfaces (and industries) have changed significantly for the better, and so I think we are in a time when new does mean better. For NV to carry this out, timing and management of the rollout will be everything. It can be NV, or it can be another group, but disruption will happen. I hope the disruption comes from within NV.

Thanks.

PS My thinking here is informed by many sources, but by far the best is Horace Dediu on his podcast is at http://5by5.tv/criticalpath. He can also be found at at www.asymco.com. For a great rundown on what disruption is look here: http://www.asymco.com/2014/06/25/the-disruption-faq/. Enjoy.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
At what point does NV send more time trying to re-write old code than what could be done to move the whole platform to a fresh code base.

The whole package is now being moved up, starting around 2012ish. We're hauling the old stuff away in dumpsters as fast as we can.

Allow the old version to be sold (not making the same mistake Apple made with FCP) and updates issued for latest OS releases for a few years after the new version is released.

Personal opinion: Unfortunately this more than doubles overhead and required employees. Massive companies are able to pull this kind of industry-wide handbrake turn... but without the capital of Apple or AutoDesk behind it, I would say it is unlikely this is an option for us as a much smaller company.

I have downloaded a trial of Autocad LT 2015 to try out the dark theme.

I like it. More info here

It took me a while to get used to the ribbon (Microsoft Office) and it works really well on Revit.

VW's interface (on mac at least) needs a redesign. A unified interface. At least it's not as bad as Archicad's interface.

Edited by Kizza

Hi Jim,

Personal opinion: Unfortunately this more than doubles overhead and required employees. Massive companies are able to pull this kind of industry-wide handbrake turn... but without the capital of Apple or AutoDesk behind it, I would say it is unlikely this is an option for us as a much smaller company.

Contrary to logic for such a wealthy company, Apple runs very similarly to a small company, with staffing challenges similar to what you and I deal with every day. That said, they do have a huge cushion to keep them going for at least decade or more.

Yep, what I am talking about is not easy. It is hard to gauge how serious these issues are. And I freely admit that the possibility of doing what I am saying could destroy NV. I hope there is a wise middle ground, that is able to get rid of the detritus added over the last 20 years, and be courageous and innovative to make tough decisions. Status quo is a dangerous place to be, and can end at the same place if not careful.

Although I do not take a lot of note of what Bill Gates says, when referring to technology and it's impact on the world at large, one quote stands out;

"Usually people overestimate what will happen over two years, and underestimate what will happen over 10". Interesting times.

PS While I can make suggestions with challenges such as these, it is better for NV to sell us on the merits on their vision, as most of the technical challenges are unknown to me. Maybe based on the quote above, the dynamic app Vw needs to be can come as a series of clever and innovative moves over a period of years. I think this is what NV are attempting to achieve, but the noticeable jankiness of the aged detritus continues to concern?especially when compared to the likes of C4D, that will use every last ounce of power thrown at it.

Edited by Diamond

Hi Jim,

I was going to write this in the Organisation Palette thread and realised it was better said here. Regarding my thoughts of the popups ideas, and how an element like that plays out a on the whole app:

I am hoping that the whole interface will be refreshed soon to deal with retina screens. Also I think that the there needs to be a light and dark version, similar to what Yosemite is doing. I would prefer a dark, as it is easier on the eyes, but those that are change adverse, would probably want to stay with the light grey. :)

I also I realise, UI design is hard, and one great idea can be cancelled out by another required element. Distilling any design down to its most essential ingredients is a tough challenge, but it is what all great designers / artists / storytellers / cooks do.