Wall lines of door symbols not showing on reflected ceiling plan

I'd like my door symbols to show as double lines in my reflected ceiling plans, but they are not. My door objects show up fine, but the doors that I've converted to symbols do not, even though I've checked the box that says "draw wall lines". Is there something I'm overlooking? I'm using Vectorworks 2014. My operating system is OSX 10.9.2

• 5 months later...
I'd like my door symbols to show as double lines in my reflected ceiling plans, but they are not. My door objects show up fine, but the doors that I've converted to symbols do not, even though I've checked the box that says "draw wall lines". Is there something I'm overlooking? I'm using Vectorworks 2014. My operating system is OSX 10.9.2

Hello Julie,

I've come to the conclusion that door symbols will not behave correctly in reflected ceiling plans even with sills class off and ceiling main class on.

A door plug-in however does behave as expected.

One can convert a door plug-in to a symbol by checking "convert to plug-in object" in the create symbol menu and it will create a symbol (noted in red) in the Resource Browser. This allows you to place doors configured per your specifications repeatedly and they will behave properly in a reflected ceiling plan. The down side is that doors placed this way exist in the plan as pug-in objects NOT as symbols thus potentially bloat the file and cannot be edited from the resource Browser and have change appear in all placed doors.

To all viewers please correct me if I am wrong!

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Melynda,

Here's the file translated to 2013. Please let me know if you're having issues with this functionality. My email is wgardner@vectorworks.net.

I've created a couple of saved views that turn the rcp wall lines on and off on the design layer. There's also a Sheet Layer where, if you click on the viewport and enter the class settings, you can turn Ceiling_Main on and off from there.

In the OIP, the "Use Wall Lines" will keep the wall lines ON all the time - not necessarily what you want...

2015 adds even more flexibility in controlling line weight, etc. in your viewports (that's my sales pitch...sorry)

Wes

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is no duplicate wall behind it? An easy test for this is to place the door in wall and its associated wall into a new blank file on its own, then do the same test with Draw Wall Lines and altering class visibilities to see if you can get the lines to vanish or change style.

If you can do it in the new doc, it usually means duplicate or misclassed geometry in the original.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Rob,

No, you are not going crazy at all. I inadvertently "cheated" and did it in 2015 where I can control these "by Class" - see attached screen shot.

I simply told the program to set the wall lines in the Ceiling-Main class and then set the class's line style to dashed.

Sorry for misleading you...

One of my priorities is to try to get as many items as possible to be controlled by class so that in viewports, you can make stuff look like whatever you want.

Hopefully, you can use my door until you get a chance to upgrade!

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner
  • 1 year later...

I think this is still an issue in VW 2016, where the "draw wall lines" toggle button doesn't function at all. It simply does nothing in my experience, no matter if it's checked or not, wall lines are still drawn and controlled by the "wall lines" door attribute. That's my experience after all, if anybody would like to prove otherwise, please... the stage is yours