Space Tool improvements - WISH

Patrick Fritsch

Question

I'd like the space tool "finishes" to have have individual "area's" associated to them, either automatically or manually, for example;

Wall Finish; could have the total wall area minus the doors and window openings. This could be an automatic area input as the space tool is already linked to the wall tool.

Floor Finish; could have the floor area of the room but minus the kitchen cabinet's area as the floor finish does not usually continue under them. This would most likely have to be a manual area input, unless it could recognize the cabinet tool.

Ceiling Area; could have the total ceiling area minus any skylight openings. This may be an automatic area if it could be linked to any slab object on the ceiling layer, this way it would also work for sloped ceilings.

All this would greatly aid in extracting more accurate material quantities for take-off's.

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Clarification for the initial request; do you mean you would want the space to report the specified area on the space label, Or at least somewhere it could be pulled from?

I think it would be beneficial to be able to create a slab from a space as well, perhaps using the slab tool.

You should be able to do this now. With a Space object selected, go to Top/Plan view (I forget if the view has to be plan or not, might not need to be) then use Modify > Create Objects from Shapes and select Slab to create a Slab object.

Clarification for the initial request; do you mean you would want the space to report the specified area on the space label, Or at least somewhere it could be pulled from?

Jim, the latter is correct, I just want to be able to pull these values into a worksheet to speed up estimation take-off's.

Thanks,